My first ever lightning shots!!

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Just had a nasty little thunderstorm cell come through, and before the windows got blurred too badly, I got a couple of lightning shots! :-D As far as electrical storms go, this wasn't that great, but I'm glad I got the couple I did. Also saw some great rotation (beginnings of a tornado) in one of the clouds a couple miles away, but that doesn't come through so well on still photos unless there's an actual funnel. :?

IMG_8807_edited_RS.jpg

Sorry for the window reflection on this one. It does make a sort of odd style of frame almost to the lightning bolt. :lol:

IMG_8757_edited_RS.jpg

dude, those are way cool! i gotta try that!
tripod, bulb, open shutter? what iso?
cool shots :thumbsup:

Osmer_Toby said:
dude, those are way cool! i gotta try that!
tripod, bulb, open shutter? what iso?
cool shots :thumbsup:

Yup yup yup. ISO 100 on these. It was still relatively light out, so I set for 5 sec exposures, then stopped down 2 stops. My remote release has a lock on it, so you can basically lock the shutter release open. I just clicked it open, so the shutter would be open for 5 sec, closed for a sec or so while it wrote to the flash card, then back open for 5 sec. Did that for about 15 or 20 minutes. Took about a hundred shots, and got these two with lightning on them. Like I said, it wasn't much of an electrical storm. :)

Most reactions

Back