my first film problem

electricalperson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i accidently mixed up new and used film and got a new roll of film developed so it was all blank:thumbdown:

i loaded a roll of used film into my camera and taken all double exposures by accident :thumbdown::thumbdown:

some of the double exposures looked pretty cool actually and im not upset about it at all. next time i will put a x with sharpie on the film container

im sure many of you guys done the same thing. my father told me he screwed up rolls of film

Ouch, that is why when I rewind a roll of film I rewind the leader all the way into the cassette. Atleast that whay when I make that mistake I find out the roll is exposed before I put it into the camera. PITA when you are out in the field and your extra rolls of film are all exposed and you are forced to be done for the day, but atleast those photos are safe because the roll of film can't be loaded into the camera.

i didnt know you could rewind the film all the way back into the canister. do they pop open the canister or grab the leader?

when we development film we just pop open the top, easy with an old fashion "church key".

next time i will put a x with sharpie on the film container
I keep a silver sharpie in my camera bag (great for writing on darkly colored things). I put an X on the leader with that when the roll is done.
i didnt know you could rewind the film all the way back into the canister. do they pop open the canister or grab the leader?
I just take my film to Walmart. They extract the leader to develop it, so I just leave it out to make it easier for them.

Am I missing something here? My F100 always rewinds the leader completely back into the canister automagically, and to develop I always pop the entire canister open and reel it up.

Am I missing something here? My F100 always rewinds the leader completely back into the canister automagically, and to develop I always pop the entire canister open and reel it up.

Some auto-rewind cameras can be set to leave the film leader out, or if it's being manually rewound, you can leave it out by the sound/feel of the rewind lever. But yeah, I always wind it all the way in and use a bottle opener to pop the can when it's developing time.

I have my auto rewind camera set to leave the leader out. and I can tell by the sound and feel on my manual cameras when to stop winding.

I always leave the leader out, I find it easier than popping the cap off. Plus, if I ever want to bulk load I can reuse the cans if I leave enough hanging out.

To make sure I dont accidentally load exposed film, or develop unexposed film, I make sure to fold a corner of the leader with a nice crease, that I can see, and feel in the dark.

I always bent the leader back on an exposed roll so I wouldn't mix them up.

I have my Canon 1N set to leave the leader sticking out a little, If I change to a different film speed I mark the casing of the removed roll with the number of the shot I was at so when I put that roll back in I can get to the right place, when I finish a rol, I roll the leader in by hand.

I have my Canon 1N set to leave the leader sticking out a little, If I change to a different film speed I mark the casing of the removed roll with the number of the shot I was at so when I put that roll back in I can get to the right place

I do the same, but I go one frame past where I left off. If I don't, sometimes those two frames overlap by 1 or 2 mm. Not much, and it could easily be cropped (it's not like losing that 1mm on the edge is going to ruin the picture...) - I just don't like them touching, lol.

next time i will put a x with sharpie on the film container
I keep a silver sharpie in my camera bag (great for writing on darkly colored things). I put an X on the leader with that when the roll is done.
I just take my film to Walmart. They extract the leader to develop it, so I just leave it out to make it easier for them.
I hear Walmart is closing up for film developing.

As disorganized as I am with my film, I don't trust myself to try any sort of lead-out methodology for any exposed cans. I just have one of these so I can reuse my cans for bulk loading.

I hear Walmart is closing up for film developing.

That would suck, but it doesn't really surprise me...

The one by me actually does pretty good work, and it's dirt cheap. Even their prints look good.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back