My first full frame and no lens for the weekend!!!

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today I bought my first full frame camera. It is a Nikon D610 and could not pass up the offer. The only problem is I have no lens. It is a 3 day weekend. I have my first full frame camera and no lens. Does anyone understand what I am going through?

I have 3 DX lenses for a Nikon D3200 though:ambivalence:

I understand....... that you're going to learn what 'shooting in DX mode' means. :allteeth:

Seriously... I think you're gonna love stepping up to the 610. The added capabilities are going to overshadow your lack of FX glass for a while.

Well you can use DX lenses on Nikon full frame cameras, which is a big feature that Nikon has which Canon does not. If you owned a Canon full frame camera you would not be able to even Mount and shoot any Canon ef-s lenses that you might have.

If perhaps you have a Nikon 35 mm f /2 DX, that lens does pretty well, covering roughly the 5:4 aspect ratio.

Why not try your new camera with whatever lenses you happen to own right now, or go out and purchase a low priced older Nikon prime lens or some $20 pawn shop lens in Nikon f-mount?

Well you can use DX lenses on Nikon full frame cameras, which is a big feature that Nikon has which Canon does not. If you owned a Canon full frame camera you would not be able to even Mount and shoot any Canon ef-s lenses that you might have.

If perhaps you have a Nikon 35 mm f /2 DX, that lens does pretty well, covering roughly the 5:4 aspect ratio.

Why not try your new camera with whatever lenses you happen to own right now, or go out and purchase a low priced older Nikon prime lens or some $20 pawn shop lens in Nikon f-mount?

Thank you, I might give one of those things a try.

Don't forget cheap, used glass including film-era f-mount lenses. Pawn shops, craigslist, etc. EDIT - oops Derrel beat me to it

Congrats on the 610!

Today I bought my first full frame camera. It is a Nikon D610 and could not pass up the offer. The only problem is I have no lens. It is a 3 day weekend. I have my first full frame camera and no lens. Does anyone understand what I am going through?

I have 3 DX lenses for a Nikon D3200 though:ambivalence:
You have three lenses that will work, although your camera will sense them and capture images in DX mode. While you can make photos with these lenses, you still won't be able to experience the larger sensor at its full capacity. Begin your research and shopping for your first FX lens. You should approach this project from the standpoint of deciding which lens will give you the best image quality in doing the type of shooting you do.

My vote is an inexpensive lens from a local pawn shop. The Nikon d610 will use around 100 million or more lenses that have been made by Nikon and by third-party companies since 1959. There is no need to spend more than about 20 to $30.

Here are a few photos that I made a couple of years ago with a $19.95 tokina 70-200 f/4~5.6 zoom lens that I bought at a pawn shop. I believes this lens was made in the 1990s. It uses the screw mechanism in the d610 body to achieve Focus .This lens flares easily when shot directly into strong sunlight, and it is a good lens for that type of effect. As I said, I paid $19.95 for this lens.
_D61_1210_converted_Batch 2-3_LR reduced2.JPG
_D61_1203_converted_Batch 2-5_LR reduced2.JPG
_D61_1210_converted_Batch 2_LR reduced2.JPG

Don't forget cheap, used glass including film-era f-mount lenses. Pawn shops, craigslist, etc. EDIT - oops Derrel beat me to it

Congrats on the 610!
I realize that this is from 2019 but this is advise for anyone looking for an inexpensive normal FF nikon Zoom.

Look for an old Nikon AF28-80 f/3.5-5.6 plastic el-cheapo. They usually go for around $35.00. I have one that I bought back in the 90's to go with my Nikon film 35mm AF. I have compared it to my 24-70 f/2.8 and it is every bit as sharp and contrasty. Heck it is almost as good as my 50mm f/1.4 prime and I'm comparing them at 45mp. Good luck and enjoy.

So did you use your d610 last weekend? Which lens? Let's see some first shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back