My first HDR doesnt look like HDR

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I only used the CS4 built in HDR merge. What am I supposed to do? I took bracketed shots+-2. Also, it is underexposed.

Untitled_HDR2.jpg

I don't find the CS4 HDR Merge to be the greatest product on the market for what you're trying to do. Photomatix has been, in my experience, better than the HDR Merge.

I'd also try more shots for HDR...I usually always take 4+ photos if I want to go for an HDR. The more you have in the dynamic range, the more pop you can get. However, I do commend you on not grabbing hold of the control bars and blowing this one out. Not a bad first try!

I guess I am just confused what to do with the result. I am supposed to move the slider across the histogram. Then it is a 32 bit? When I convert it to 8 bit so I can convert it to jpg there were more controls? I am lost LOL.

It's your first one! Play with it, see how it goes! I know very few people who were good at things their first go around with it. Play with it, see what happens with it, and come on back for C&C! All is not lost!

Better or worse? I have so many bracketed shots at different angles... ill keep trying
LoretaHeights.jpg

I suggest you download the free trial of Photomatix Pro. Just use the default and run your 3, 5 or 7 shots through it. Im sure you will be amazed at the good results you will get first time out.

Bynx, which one do you suggest to download/buy if I have adobe cs4? the download page was a little intimidating. NOt sure what I need.

I use the Photomatix stand alone. I recommend that. CS4 isnt good for HDR creation in my opinion.

Why do you recommend that as opposed to the photoshop plug in one? The stand alone is cheaper too.

Well as a stand alone you dont have to worry about having to upgrade it if you decide to upgrade your Photoshop to CS5 or more. The stand alone will always work by itself. Also for computing power, if its undivided it will work faster than if it has to share speed and ram with Photoshop.

Here's my little version in 2 mins at work before I leave (not through HDR but more just adjusting curve on PS) sorry didn't have time to play with the trees yet will do that later

Church.jpg

I am testing photomatix.. wow This is a different set of course. The cloud is different.
LoretaHeights-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back