My First HDR Photo

starredcivic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Wow its been a while since I have posted!

I took this picture of my grandparents aloe plant and my boyfriend used it as an example on how to use HDR. I am going to need to be taught again cuz I am missing a thing or two. But I wanted to post in and see what everyone thought!

447207193_d15772c1e7_o.jpg

Doesn't seem to bring out the dark area. How many shots?

Here's a thread showing a few different exposures;

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74203

There's a couple tutorial links in the thread too.

For subject matter I'd suggest something with a broad tonal range- real light and real dark. Also, maybe stick with multiple exposure jpg's until you have a handle on the process.

can i get someone to post some HDR pics that they have done so I can see what I need to be doing a little more of!?

You need to have a scene that requires HDR first, meaning that with a single picture there is always going to be something that is blown out at the highlights, or has detail lost in the shadows, or of course both. Then bracket and shoot enough shots to cover the extremes, and the HDR solves the problem of highlights and/or shadows.

here is a church I shot not too long ago. Sun was setting so the longest exposure (to get detail around the door and other shadowed areas) was about 20 seconds. The quick shots helped give me some color in the sky. This is 5 shots taken at 2EV difference each, + and - 2 pictures. This means that I have a range of about 8 EV in this picture (-4EV, -2EV, 0EV, +2EV, +4EV)

churchHDR.jpg

Most reactions

Back