I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It took a while, but I finally had a chance to jump on the HDR bandwagon. It sure has come a long way from manually masking off multiple images.

These being my first ones, I pretty much went overboard with it, but experimenting is half the fun don't you think? In many of them, I just went with the HDR surreal feel and cranked the saturation etc.

Anyway, here they are...

IMG_0584_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_0614_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_0623_4_5_8_9_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_0642_3_4_5_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_0646_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_0654_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_0657_58_59_60_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_0661_3_4_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_0665_6_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

Last edited:
:lol: good for you mike, we all have to start somewhere

i need to put on my sunglasses for that grass;)

Good First Attempt I see some chromatic aberration but once you get the hang of things you can address that fairly quickly.

Ann, Bynx I think scott's is selling that newly uranium enriched lawn fertilizer I keep seeing more and more people using it hehe. Just kidding.

my grass needs some for sure.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE number 2!!! It's so beautiful! I'm trying to do HDR. Do you take just 3 pictures, and then layer them, or are you taking more than 3? I know my camera will take up to 9. Did you do all these in Photoshop?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE number 2!!! It's so beautiful! I'm trying to do HDR. Do you take just 3 pictures, and then layer them, or are you taking more than 3? I know my camera will take up to 9. Did you do all these in Photoshop?
The number (or range) of photos that you should take, should depend on the scene. If the scene has a really wide range of tones, you will need exposures that cover that range. I haven't done enough testing to know if it's better to take 3 exposures, farther apart or to take more exposures covering the same range.

I have tried before, to do some HDR stuff with only Photoshop. The results were respectable, you can see some of there HERE, but these ones here were created with Photomatix software, as well as Lightroom and maybe a bit of Photoshop.

Mike
Great start to your HDR. I love the photos, and I would rather see heavy saturation then under saturation.
The locations are wonderful, I may have to come up and visit you. ;)

These look great to me.. Although I don't do HDR, I certainly appreciate it. I love these. The vivid greens especially. #1 & 4 are my favorites, and #2 is nice as well (well all of them are nice).
#7 & 8 don't really have much of the HDR effect though IMO. Looks like the same effect could have been done with a little photoshop.

Thanks.

#7 & 8 don't really have much of the HDR effect though IMO. Looks like the same effect could have been done with a little photoshop.
These are actually some of my favorite types of scene. Whenever I'm walking or hiking in a forest, I love it when the sun trickles though the trees. My only problem, was that I knew that a typical photo would never do it justice because the range of tones was so great.

So considering that these photos (7 & 8), look somewhat normal, you have to imagine that that a single exposure would either have severely blown highlights or fully dark shadows.

Most reactions

Back