My first IR picture...

cosmonaut

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregmccary.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love some of the IR pictures I have seen on here. I am very interested in a how to. All I have is a polarizer. What kind of filter works best? But is this one even close? I call this one, Global Warming....
Cosmo

smokestack02IRas.jpg

WTF? what kind of filter did you use?

Hi cosmo, for IR photography you need to use an IR filter (the Hoya R72 is a popular choice).... any other type of filter or photoshop effect cannot reproduce the effect of Infra red. I quite like the image you've created here tho, interesting effect :thumbup:

I like the color effect and your angle...and this photo tells me a story, one I would title "Cause and Effect"...just my imagination at work...I like it!!!! :thumbup:

Thanks Arch, I truley enjoy your work, I will look into the filter. You have amazing technique. Maybe a book is in order. Is it just the filter and PS or are there camera adjustments? I still shot film so filters would be my only options for now.
Thanks Mike, It wasn't my original intentions it just came out looking this way. I kind of liked the hell fire looking sky.
The clouds were moving fairly fast if I had my good camera I would have tried a tripod and a filter to give me a long exposure. I shot this with my new rangefinder and the glass is almost to fast for even this. I hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea for a title, I like it...
Cosmo

umm i'v not done much IR work with film... but i think all you need is the right film.... and a red filter... like the wratten 87... or one less dense... theres quite a lot of info on it through google about film IR photog... just do a quick search and should find all the info you need ;)

shooting film you will reqire Kodak IR film and a filter, the film needs to be loaded in the dark too, depending on your camera there may or may not be a setting on the lens for ir photography.

Flash Harry said:
shooting film you will reqire Kodak IR film and a filter, the film needs to be loaded in the dark too, depending on your camera there may or may not be a setting on the lens for ir photography.

Thanks Flash I think it's hard to get developed as well...
Cosmo

I only used it one time during college and can't remember if we processed ourselves or outside, I wasn't really attracted to it that much, I also remember some BW we did of each other which made your eyes look like a dead fishes, not at all alluring.

Also, the best time for IR is springtime, new growth in plantlife stands out exceptionally well.

Thanks again Harry. From what I have read on the web you are dead on about the film. It's also hit or miss with the exposure since a camera doesn't see IR. I want to try the red filter and PS technique to see if I can find an easier way. Maybe one day soon I will be digital but for now I can't afford it. I actually took this picture with a Rangefinder I bought on e-bay and was just running it through some test. I have seen so many pictures of old stacks like this and wanted to try something different. I also have an alternate version of this where the skies are a litte more IR like, but I liked the hell fire look of this. Thanks again, Cosmo

I probably sound like a broken record, but just to let you know, I find the PS IR actions to be rather unconvincing, especially if there are people in image. IR reflects off surfaces based on things other than color. Green grass and leaves will be nearly white, but a green wall may be a very dark grey. It all depends on the material. PS actions can only base their adjustments based on color, not material. Skin tends to be rather translucent in IR, which PS can't replicate at all with just a simple action. You can end up with some rather neat images, but they won't be IR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back