My first kid shoot...

Allsmiles7282

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So here is Madison...a very cute little 4 year old. She was fun to shoot but a little challenging because she wouldn't stay still for even 2 secs!!!

As awlays, C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

57465c130134d8a.jpg

57465c1301bfeec.jpg

57465c1302177ab.jpg

57465c13027df8d.jpg

57465c13001798f.jpg

57465c15b2ac6c0.jpg

57465c1300dabf1.jpg

57465c13017b97e.jpg

You got some good shots, I like them.

I don't prefer the high contrasty p.p., but that's just me

Right away, I noticed that the skin tone is very pastey white, and the post processing is a little overdone for my taste. But thats just my opinion. Also, the drop shadows are kind of distracting.

On the positive side, you have a very cute subject. Her poses and expressions are priceless! I would just warm up the skin tone though.

Overall, very well done. :thumbup:

NJ

The skin tones are not at all washed out on my monitor but then again, I have a Mac, so that could be the difference.

Thanks for the comments! :)

I love these. I also love high contrast for whatever reason so I like the p.p. but I know some don't. I think her expressions are awesome! And they're very nicely focused. :)

Nice series.

Her skin is rather bright in many of them but I think it works well in most of them...#1 looks to be a little more washed than the others. I like the saturated colors...especially the big blue eyes. I can see where some people might not like the style...it's a thin line before you go too far.

I also love that you shot down on her level...I really dislike photos of kids shot from an adults perspective.

Well done.

To me, the most realistic skin tone out of the whole series would be #4, if you wanted to use that as a base photo.

But as it stands, they are all high key (at least it looks that way to me, but I'm not an expert). I am not a huge fan of high key, except in certain instances.

These are not bad portraits by any means though. :D

Thanks for all of your comments. I went to my hubby's office and looked at the pictures on a PC and they do look a lot different! Is there any way to fix the discrepancy between the Mac and PC monitors?

My fave is #7. I love candids of kids and IMO the high-key look works well for natural shots of children (just think about their energy levels). Looks better to me than some of those somber, stiffly-posed shots that you see a lot in portraits of kids.

#5 and #8 are my favorites. You did a good job considering how hard it is. I had a friend trying to shoot a 4 year old on a point and shoot. Couldn't get one photo head on with the 4 SECOND SHUTTER LAG! (AF assist light, focus, pre- flash red eye reduction, flash). They handed the camera to me and I told the girl to look at me 3 seconds after the shutter, got the photo they wanted first try..... couldn't get it again until 28 shots later. I know how difficult it can be. Good job!

Compliments on the background blur, the antidote to distraction. But you have a color issue with the background, it looks a bit bland, yet I cannot advise you as to how to correct this, though, should you agree with my view on the color issue, you will certainly find a way to improve it. Indeed, the little one herself appears rather pale, no problem though, that can be altered. In some pics the eyes of the little one appear too blue, as if you intensified the color. As for the poses of the little one, they are absolutely fine. Polish up the missing color and you'll have high quality images, images that will certainly impress. So, very fine photographic work, just some minor color problems.

Greetings from D.

Most reactions

Back