My First Lens Choice

mmayo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Finally taking the plunge into DSLR! After doing a lot of research, I have chosen to buy (haven't done so yet) the Canon 60d. I would love to buy it and use it right now, but now I am stuck on researching lenses, and I am going insane! I have never used a DSLR and altho I have done a lot of research, I am still like a fish out of water with all the lingo. I have read many threads on this as well... but they are all a little more advanced that me at this point. So, I need help! I would like to choose a lens, instead of just taking the kit lens, but I am so confused now.

I am a military wife and mom of small kids. We are stationed in Europe - I know, what an awesome place for photos, right? So, this is what I need... I don't want to loose zoom - I do a lot of travel photography of places, and NEED zoom to pull some shots off. I also need it for kids sports and things like that. Also, I have been getting into portraits - I'm not good yet and I need lots of practice, so I need a lens that will be great with that, typically outdoors, but it's europe - rain pushes me inside more often than I would like. However, I LOVE Macro photography as well!!!! See why this is so hard for me? I realize, I am probably not going to find a great lens for all of that... and this being my first DSLR, I don't want to spend too much time switching lenses. So, I am thinking about choosing 2 lenses, but would like to keep within the $500 - $700 range for Both! (My military husband is already stressed that I am about to spend $800 on a camera body, lol. He knows it will be more for the lens, and I'd like for my first shots not to be of his heart attack!) :D

Oh, one more thing... weight IS an issue. I plan to carry this guy with me everywhere, and will probably have it around my neck all the time. I'd prefer not to look like the Hunchback as I am taking shots at Notre Dame. ;)

Ok... 2 more things... Image Stabilization - I like that stuff too! I need all the help I can get!

Please help! Any and all suggestions and detailed "beginners" information is welcome!!!

***should i consider backing down to my original choice of the Rebel T3i, in order to put the extra $200 into the lenses?***

Last edited:
***should i consider backing down to my original choice of the Rebel T3i, in order to put the extra $200 into the lenses?***
If you have real reason for canon then yes rather go for 600d than 60d as your first dslr (because of size: you are female- so you probably have smaller hands, it's lighter (as you've mentioned traveling) ). but then - have you even considered different brands than canon/nikon ? you could get reasonable value fro your price in sony for example.

It is really hard to give and advice on lens though I'll give it a try:
for a "travel zoom" lens try to consider something like following (look up prices, obviously in quality perspective you'll get what you pay for :) but definitely search for reviews ) :
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS
Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD
Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

and if you wish to add "macro" capability you can think about Auto Focus Macro Extension Tubes/Rings (e.g. Auto Focus Macro Extension Tube/Ring For Canon EOS L9A | eBay )

(

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I hate to mention a different camera with all of the research you have done, but I would recommend the 50D over the 60D. I have had experience with both cameras and like the 50D more. The reason being that it is more geared towards a prosumer camera than the 60D. The body is made of magnesium allow, which is a lot tougher in weather conditions opposed to the body of the 60D. I have had my 50D for over a year now and it shoots great pics. You can pick one up on ebay with less than 10,000 clicks for around $700 or less. That is, if you do not mind buying a used camera. As far as the lens, Jan made some good suggestions. I have used many third party lenses, but I am not in favor of them. Canon lenses seem to always work better for me. A lot of Sigma lenses have auto focusing issues and I sold one due to that very reason. I used the Canon 28-135mm kit lens for the longest and it produced some sharp images for me. If you did add the extension tubes onto the lens, then it would be macro capable. I believe you can get the lens for around $350 and a 25mm extension tube for about $150. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you.

Most reactions

Back