My first lightning picture

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_4257-resized.jpg

I have been trying *forever* to capture lightning in a bottle (made of flash memory, encased in plastic ;)). Finally got a few tonight. Sadly, this is the only one that I felt was "TPF worthy" - I missed a ton of good shots messing around with settings, changing lenses, camera pointed in wrong direction, opening a new beer, etc...

I am happy to have FINALLY gotten a lightning picture though. I just wish there was something more interesting in the foreground, but hey - that's where I live, not much interesting scenery around here...

Last edited:
Can anyone see the picture?

It isn't loading anymore for me...

loads for me. good capture though, looks like a big prehistoric bird looking for its prey.

Thanks K Pugh.

It's loading for me now. I deleted all of my cookies and it works now (not sure why that fixed it...), for some reason it kept trying to transfer data from google-analitics & paypal (usually it just says 'transfering data from TPF', not sure what all that other crap was doing on there...).

Yep, weird, sometimes mine does the google anylitics thing and doesn't load some TPF pages, just blank and i have to refresh.

Looks Really Good. I tried a couple days ago but i failed at it. Every time I tried different settings lighting would strike and i missed it. Kinda hard to get a good one. How did you get it?

Looks Really Good. I tried a couple days ago but i failed at it. Every time I tried different settings lighting would strike and i missed it. Kinda hard to get a good one. How did you get it?
I good shots when I have a pretty closed aperture (like f22 or f16) You just gotta treat it like a flash exposure.

Tripod is absolutely a must. I put it into Bulb, then with the remote opened the shutter for 10-15 seconds, close then try again. If lightning hit while the shutter was open I closed it as soon as the lightning finished. Pretty much the same way you would shoot fireworks if you've ever done that.

Out of about 50 pictures, 4 of them actually had lightning in them (missed a bunch of good ones that hit right as I closed the shutter, or I just didn't get it in the frame), this was the only one that I thought was pretty good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back