My First Lightning Shots

John L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The first shot was taken just a few days after I got my D40. I was really happy with it considering I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing.

D40-124.jpg

The next shot was taken about two months later. I messed with the colors a little bit in photoshop.

DSC_0400-1.jpg

Well how did I do? I am still learning so any comments or criticisms will help.

they look really cool. That is a shot I want to get someday, hopefully this summer. Cool thanks for posting

Can I Ask How You Shoot Lighting.. You Can Email Me If You Want.. ([email protected])

It really isn't that difficult you just have to have patience. I set the camera to manual and choose an aperture between f8 and f11. It was on bulb. The ISO was set at 200 and raw format. I then pointed the camera at one section of the sky and began shooting. I just hit the shutter and wait and see if lightning strikes. After about 15 seconds i hit the shutter again to close it and try again. Hope that made sense.:lol:

OK did not grab the manual yet to look it up, but what does on "Bulb" mean. I have a Nikon D40 and love storms. Would like to give this a go. Also what lens are you using? If you dont mind......

It really isn't that difficult you just have to have patience. I set the camera to manual and choose an aperture between f8 and f11. It was on bulb. The ISO was set at 200 and raw format. I then pointed the camera at one section of the sky and began shooting. I just hit the shutter and wait and see if lightning strikes. After about 15 seconds i hit the shutter again to close it and try again. Hope that made sense.:lol:

but what do you do if its pouring down rain.. :cheers:

I jus notcied something.. if you look in the 2nd picture, is that a tornado possibly..

Those are brilliant, love them! :thumbup:

I love the first one, the second one isnt sitting with me because of the coloring. Looks kinda fakey. Lightning clouds here are almost purplish.
But they are amazing shots, i would LOVE to get some lighting shots, great captures!

Doing a great job with the lightning! Keep it up! I like the first better because you haven't blown out the lightning.

but what do you do if its pouring down rain.. :cheers:

I run in the house lol

I love the first one, the second one isnt sitting with me because of the coloring. Looks kinda fakey. Lightning clouds here are almost purplish.
But they are amazing shots, i would LOVE to get some lighting shots, great captures!

Yeah the second shot had kinda of a gray to it so I adjusted the colors. I have seen the sky turn blue like that before though.

Doing a great job with the lightning! Keep it up! I like the first better because you haven't blown out the lightning.

Im not sure what I could have done about the blown out highlights. That area in the shot got a really large lightning bolt and I was just happy to get it on camera. I will continue to try and make my shots look better.

Im not sure what I could have done about the blown out highlights. That area in the shot got a really large lightning bolt and I was just happy to get it on camera. I will continue to try and make my shots look better.

what about something like this?

2562880899_6604d4e797.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back