My first Mamiya

MichiganFarts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I loaded film for the first time into a medium format camera. And I guess, for the Mamiya 645e, unless I'm doing something wrong, the shutter release locks until you actually load film, and advance it to the first frame?

I put a battery in it before I bought film, and couldn't even use the TTL meter. I was beginning to think it was dead or something, couldn't activate the shutter or anything.

However, after loading some B&W film into it, and advancing it to frame one, I got the thing to take a shot, while I was playing with the TTL meter.

So the first picture I take with my medium format camera....is a DOH! with the lens cap on...so I can't even enjoy a nice oops floor shot! lol

Thanks! Was able to DL the manual to my Droid X...now getting me to read the thing, that's the hard part!

You will be amazed of the quality with medium format.

Stop It!!! lol...you're going to make me rush my first shots just to see how great it is...

It is exciting though, because since I was 18, and saved and bought my 35mm set up, I always dreamed of complementing it with a Mamiya 645.

Of course at the time the dream was a Mamiya 645 pro af camera.

But the 645e seems great for what I want to do, aside from the inability to use a WL finder. Can't find an angle view finder for it either.

Stop It!!! lol...you're going to make me rush my first shots just to see how great it is...

It is exciting though, because since I was 18, and saved and bought my 35mm set up, I always dreamed of complementing it with a Mamiya 645.

But the 645e seems great for what I want to do, aside from the inability to use a WL finder. Can't find an angle view finder for it either.

I have 7 medium format cameras, 6 are film, and the only 6x4.5 i have is the digital Hasselblad H4D-60 [i had H3DII-39 but i replaced it for H4D60], and the quality is out of the world, and about the film the problem will be with the scan, but i really love the B&W from MF always over the 35mm digital or film, so my digital MF killed my 35mm DSLRs, and i don't have any 35mm film camera but i can tell 1000% that film medium format will kill 35mm format in quality, many people talking about high ISO from 35mm digital over MF, but for me high ISO is not my only factor i use, the only place i use high ISO is the sports, and my H4D-60 at ISO800 is very good enough from all tests i did, so why i have to shoot at ISO 1000-12500 all the time?

I want to see what you will do with your Mamiya 645e, it is a nice capable camera with great quality, you will see that when you start to shoot fine with it, i can't show you anything from my film MF because i don't have 6x4.5, Hasselblad film is closer with 6x6.

I have 7 medium format cameras, 6 are film, and the only 6x4.5 i have is the digital Hasselblad H4D-60 [i had H3DII-39 but i replaced it for H4D60], and the quality is out of the world, and about the film the problem will be with the scan, but i really love the B&W from MF always over the 35mm digital or film, so my digital MF killed my 35mm DSLRs, and i don't have any 35mm film camera but i can tell 1000% that film medium format will kill 35mm format in quality, many people talking about high ISO from 35mm digital over MF, but for me high ISO is not my only factor i use, the only place i use high ISO is the sports, and my H4D-60 at ISO800 is very good enough from all tests i did, so why i have to shoot at ISO 1000-12500 all the time?

I want to see what you will do with your Mamiya 645e, it is a nice capable camera with great quality, you will see that when you start to shoot fine with it, i can't show you anything from my film MF because i don't have 6x4.5, Hasselblad film is closer with 6x6.

Well so far I've shot 3 oops's and 3 on purposes lol...but I want to get them developed and scanned tomorrow. Sadly, I don't even know where to go to get them developed...there's one camera shop in town anyomre...and I don't know if the chain stores like Walmart actually develop the 120 roll film.

Do they still do 1hour? lol...this is sad....I haven't shot film in over 5 years.

Well so far I've shot 3 oops's and 3 on purposes lol...but I want to get them developed and scanned tomorrow. Sadly, I don't even know where to go to get them developed...there's one camera shop in town anyomre...and I don't know if the chain stores like Walmart actually develop the 120 roll film.

Do they still do 1hour? lol...this is sad....I haven't shot film in over 5 years.

I started to shoot film this year ever, never shoot film before, well, when i was a kid i was using those disposal or say point and shoot small camera and i don't consider that as a good or pro film cameras, so my real start with film is just this year about 5-7 months ago, and i develop B&W film by myself at home, i develop color in a lab we have in my country, only one lab in whole country and i am not thinking to try to develop color film even it is possible, but i am happy to develop B&W film by myself, and i can develop your 120 format film free for you but you have to pay only the shipping which is much much expensive than developing your film locally, lol :lol:

I started to shoot film this year ever, never shoot film before, well, when i was a kid i was using those disposal or say point and shoot small camera and i don't consider that as a good or pro film cameras, so my real start with film is just this year about 5-7 months ago, and i develop B&W film by myself at home, i develop color in a lab we have in my country, only one lab in whole country and i am not thinking to try to develop color film even it is possible, but i am happy to develop B&W film by myself, and i can develop your 120 format film free for you but you have to pay only the shipping which is much much expensive than developing your film locally, lol :lol:

Lol..thanks for the offer. One of the things that inspired me to start shooting film again, was that my buddy told me he dug up some old darkroom equipment in his basement, including a Beseler enlarger, and is going to give it to me.

But the one thing he doesn't have is the drums for developing the film. At some point next year I hope to have my 1/2 bathroom downstairs, turned into a makeshift darkroom. But until then, I gotta find someone to do it for me.

Lol..thanks for the offer. One of the things that inspired me to start shooting film again, was that my buddy told me he dug up some old darkroom equipment in his basement, including a Beseler enlarger, and is going to give it to me.

But the one thing he doesn't have is the drums for developing the film. At some point next year I hope to have my 1/2 bathroom downstairs, turned into a makeshift darkroom. But until then, I gotta find someone to do it for me.

I hope by next year to start printing with film, until now i just develop B&W, and i know how to print but still no work i did worthy to have printed, still not sure which enlarger to get, here in my country we have only one model which is Durst M67 something, but i really want to get Beseler or Omega but not sure, i really care to have good enough negative first to have good prints later, but it seems i lost my interest in film so quickly and i just started because my new digital Hasselblad.

You can use the daylight developing tanks with 120/220 either from e-bay or freestyle. Paterson Universal Film Developing Tank with 1 Reel | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

One of the things that inspired me to start filming again, is that my friend told me that he dug some old darkroom in his basement, including a Beseler enlarger, and I will give.But all that has no battery is the development of the film. At some point next year I hope to get my average down, bathroom, turned into a makeshift darkroom. But until then, I have to find someone to do it for me.

Most reactions

Back