My first not my family shoot.

Dinardy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please feel free to critique my work, I know the poses are pretty general, as well as the crops but it was specified that they will be printed and framed.
The lighting was difficult, the sun was high and bright. Let me know what you see, I'm turning these around tomorrow.
Bria the pup is terminal, with days to live. :(

Juergens-003 by A A Jones, on Flickr

Juergens-001 by A A Jones, on Flickr

Juergens-002 by A A Jones, on Flickr

Juergens-004-2 by A A Jones, on Flickr

Juergens-B by A A Jones, on Flickr

Last edited:
1 - I feel like the guy in the red shirt wasn't properly posed with the group. It's almost like he was just kinda thrown in at the last minute. He's kind of off to himself, while the other brother (assuming) is leaned in with mom, dad and the dog. There's a disconnect with him.

2 - Love the framing. Good shot IMO.

4 - Love it, great moment and a powerful story.

Robin_Usagani said:
Pretty good man. It is a little on the green side on the tint.

Thanks for catching that, I toned the green down on the final cut.

Sent from my iPhone

nola.ron said:
1 - I feel like the guy in the red shirt wasn't properly posed with the group. It's almost like he was just kinda thrown in at the last minute. He's kind of off to himself, while the other brother (assuming) is leaned in with mom, dad and the dog. There's a disconnect with him.

2 - Love the framing. Good shot IMO.

4 - Love it, great moment and a powerful story.

Yes, Derek seemed to be that way with his family in general, he is obviously the older of the two. He will be getting married in 3 days.
Two is my favorite shot so far. I have about a 100 left togo through.
Yeah it's pretty sad stuff. She has a very obvious tumor on her lower jaw.
Thanks for the review!

Sent from my iPhone

Not bad; they all need some fill light (except for the last one), and the poses could use a little refinement; in a family situation, try and avoid having them as they are in #4, but rather have the parents around them. I realize that these aren't little boys, but parents always feel protective of their children. To me, these poses say, "four friends" more than family. I like the expressions you've captured on Bria's face. Did you get a portrait of her on her own?

tirediron said:
Not bad; they all need some fill light (except for the last one), and the poses could use a little refinement; in a family situation, try and avoid having them as they are in #4, but rather have the parents around them. I realize that these aren't little boys, but parents always feel protective of their children. To me, these poses say, "four friends" more than family. I like the expressions you've captured on Bria's face. Did you get a portrait of her on her own?
I had brought my SB600 mounted on tripod right, but I don't believe I was using it to the fullest capabilities, I just turned the transceiver off half way through. I went a little blank when it came to poses, I obviously have not studied them well enough. I unfortunately did not get the shot I wanted with Bria. I hope to go back today and snap a few when I drop of the set.

Thanks for the critique!

Sent from my iPhone

I like the background best in the ones that show more trees than sky, since it was overcast. I'd think about how you're framing/cropping so you aren't catching just the top edges of watches etc.

100 shots of a relatively few poses - slow down a bit and take your time to adjust settings as needed, think about your composition and how things look in your viewfinder/viewscreen, etc. You got some nice photos that I think they'll like and be glad to have framed and displayed in their home.

I would crop #3 in tighter. Try not to clip people at appendages like elbows or wrists.

vintagesnaps said:
I like the background best in the ones that show more trees than sky, since it was overcast. I'd think about how you're framing/cropping so you aren't catching just the top edges of watches etc.

100 shots of a relatively few poses - slow down a bit and take your time to adjust settings as needed, think about your composition and how things look in your viewfinder/viewscreen, etc. You got some nice photos that I think they'll like and be glad to have framed and displayed in their home.

I agree, the solid backgrounds are more attractive, I did fire off quite a bit of shots trying to capture Bria looking at the camera for the split second she would.

Thanks for the critique! Very helpful stuff here

Sent from my iPhone

Bellezzo said:
i love them, really good work! they all look really happy.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

DiskoJoe said:
I would crop #3 in tighter. Try not to clip people at appendages like elbows or wrists.

Thanks! Took your advice before I sent them out

Sent from my iPhone

When posing multiple people, think of pyrimids or zigzag lines.

#1 - Straight line posing
#2 - Too much disconnect from Mom and the others
#3 - Your best positiong of subjects (inverted pyrimid can work also)
#4 - Never been a fan of seeing the south end of an animal without out a reason
#5 - Sweet

kundalini said:
When posing multiple people, think of pyrimids or zigzag lines.

#1 - Straight line posing
#2 - Too much disconnect from Mom and the others
#3 - Your best positiong of subjects (inverted pyrimid can work also)
#4 - Never been a fan of seeing the south end of an animal without out a reason
#5 - Sweet

Thanks for the helpful post Kundalini!

Sent from my iPhone

Most reactions

Back