My first paying portrait session

they kind of look like the typical "in the bar with my girlfreinds" flash photo's...

next time try for a lighter time of day and skip the flash or just use it for fill to highlight the face instead of using it to actually make the picture clear...

See how directional lighting can change the look completely (and get rid of that field of white shirt)? The first one is yours, the rest have the lighting applied at a different direction, sort of as it would be had you used a different light source:

forum.jpg

Will you please explain how you did these edits? I am still learning Photoshop.

Sure. I started by burning the highlights on the collar at 10%, because I wanted to raise the exposure level of the rest of the shot and I knew that the collar would blow out when I did that. Then I used shadow/highlight (but only the shadows part) to raise the exposure level of the shadows. Then I dodged and burned the midtones of certain parts of his hair. This helped lighten some of it overall, and selectively applying it to sections of hair helps make the hair look more voluminous and less flat. Then ever-so-slightly burned the shadow areas on the face in order to increase its dimensional qualities. And finally, I added a weak warming filter (using Photo Filter).

I'm impressed, this (again) tells me how stupid with photoshop I am ;)

Great try with your photos.. I give you credit for getting out there and just doing it.. It took me a really long time to push over that hump... :D You did a good job with poses etc.. THe lighting I agree.. Its easier to do it during the day when the sun is up and shinning.. Even if its cloudy,, In fact I prefer clouds over direct sun any day..

here is your first photo using photoshop edits.

pic-2.jpg

I'll be a major bad guy, but when you're still using your on camera flash,I do not think you should be taking paid clients. How long have you been working on photography? The pinlights in the eyes are extremely unattractive to the subject. I suggest you check out www.ilovephotography.com to learn more about children's photography. These look like they were done in automatic with no thought to composition, exposure, or settings.

I wont' say 'nice try' because when you're accepting people's hard earned money, you should not be TRYING. I suggest you practice and portfolio build for awhile. I would be angry if I paid for these.

Sorry to be the bad guy... but I worked hard to be in this industry as did many others and I hate seeing people jump in without the basics. It brings the whole industry down.

And for the record to whoever said it, no amount of pping can fix poor photos.

I would also like to add that it is possibly an honest mistake to start off in business before you're ready- but it is still frustrating to photographers. The world is giving everyone an idea these days that anyone can be a photog with a nice camera. They're forgetting the hard work of it. Two years ago I got a nikon d70 and 2 weeks later had a website that I was a photographer. HAH..... two years later, I can confidently say that I am now. Never charged anyone back then.... I knew deep down I was fooling myself.

Perhaps I am judging you wrong and this was just a bad shoot for you- but these don't look professional. I know you already hate me now from all of this, so will disregard anything else I say, I would hate me too. I swear I am not cruel, just straight forward. Anyway, good luck!

I'll be a major bad guy, but when you're still using your on camera flash,I do not think you should be taking paid clients. How long have you been working on photography? The pinlights in the eyes are extremely unattractive to the subject. I suggest you check out www.ilovephotography.com to learn more about children's photography. These look like they were done in automatic with no thought to composition, exposure, or settings.

I wont' say 'nice try' because when you're accepting people's hard earned money, you should not be TRYING. I suggest you practice and portfolio build for awhile. I would be angry if I paid for these.

Sorry to be the bad guy... but I worked hard to be in this industry as did many others and I hate seeing people jump in without the basics. It brings the whole industry down.

I think I said this before but I did not use an on camera flash I used a strobe on a bracket. As far as the clients they absolutely loved them! I wasn't asking if I should be a photographer I was wanting some constructive
criticism. So thanks for nothing.

Just wanted to say I LOVE this site.. ILP!! Great tips and wonderful wonderful photos!

I would also like to add that it is possibly an honest mistake to start off in business before you're ready- but it is still frustrating to photographers. The world is giving everyone an idea these days that anyone can be a photog with a nice camera. They're forgetting the hard work of it. Two years ago I got a nikon d70 and 2 weeks later had a website that I was a photographer. HAH..... two years later, I can confidently say that I am now. Never charged anyone back then.... I knew deep down I was fooling myself.

Perhaps I am judging you wrong and this was just a bad shoot for you- but these don't look professional. I know you already hate me now from all of this, so will disregard anything else I say, I would hate me too. I swear I am not cruel, just straight forward. Anyway, good luck!

I don't think your criticism was harsh at all, although I do believe that the average every-day client would have been happy with the above photos. Most people don't have the eye for lighting and composition that photographers do. I mean, I've been coming to this site for a few months now, and I'm astonished at what I've learned and how my eye is different now....and I still basically know NOTHING!!

I've decided that if I ever were to decide to be a photographer, I'd definitely go to college and learn from the ground up, so to speak. There's just too much to learn for someone to buy a camera and set up shop. I love the hobby of photography, but I have no desire to make money at it -- I like to eat too much for that.....LOL

Anyway, thanks to everyone who gives constructive criticism on this board. I hope that I have the backbone to take is in the spirit that it is given when I post pictures!!! I love the learning part.

I don't know, my own clients would be very PO'd if I had tried to submit this to them after they paid me. I guess I'll be the bad guy too and say that it still looks like you used your on camera flash so it doesn't really matter if you didn't.

That being said, you do want some tips on how to make it better and I would start by cloning out the little reflection on the tip of his nose. This is part of the reason it looks so much like your on-camera flash. Then, I would attempt to dodge the eyes a bit to see if I could get some more light in them (it looks like MaxBloom did that in his version).
Next time, if you do have to shoot that late when there is not much light, try to bring a tri-pod and drag the shutter speed more to catch whatever light there is left and hold the flash higher up off camera as well. It also looks like you shot from below him in a lot of them since you can see up his nose a bit. I would try to shoot either straight on or even from above a little bit.

Most reactions

Back