My FIRST photos - C&C if you please !

ok. think i got it....

shallow depth = wider opening = lower number

deeper depth = smaller opening = larger number.

so, does a shallow depth mean less is in focus, and a deeper depth means more is in focus?

this is why i keep seeing people talk about 50mm 1.8 if i'm correct, thats a 50 mm lens that has no zoom at all? 50mm is what it is. and the 1.8 means it can be from 1.8 aperture and up?

making sense... thanks :)

ok. think i got it....

shallow depth = wider opening = lower number

deeper depth = smaller opening = larger number.

so, does a shallow depth mean less is in focus, and a deeper depth means more is in focus?

this is why i keep seeing people talk about 50mm 1.8 if i'm correct, thats a 50 mm lens that has no zoom at all? 50mm is what it is. and the 1.8 means it can be from 1.8 aperture and up?

making sense... thanks :)

Yes, you can stop the lens down to the smallest aperture of the lens. Some are f/16, a lot are f/22, and some can even go down to f/36 and smaller. It does not always produce the best image quality, because diffraction can occur at very small apertures, like f/22. 50mm lenses are prime lenses, so they do not have a zoom ring.

Whatever the aperture listed on the lens is (1.8 or 1.4 in the case of most 50mm primes), is the maximum aperture. That would be the widest one. Remember - it's a fraction. f/1.8. Think of "f" as "1" and it will all make sense. 1/2 is bigger than 1/4... Usually the "sweet spot" is a stop or two down from the maximum. Sometimes a little more... f/5.6 - f/8 is generally pretty safe though. Since were talking film, AKA - full frame, you have a little more leeway than a crop sensor.

Plus one stop is double the amount of light. A shutter speed of 1/125 will let in double the light a speed of 1/250 would. With aperture, it's a little more complicated, since you're dealing with the area of a circle instead of a time. F/2 is not double f/4. With aperture, you're doubling the area of the open area of the aperture. So, you multiply by the square root of 2 (1.41 is close enough). f/2.8 is double the area of f/2. (You might be wishing you paid more attention in highschool math now, lol.)

Eventually you'll just know this stuff. Full stops are f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22, f/32, f/45, etc...

If a lens has a variable focal length it's a zoom, if it only has one focal length it's a prime.

I will only say that first your work mus really , really like you then little by little you'll find by yourself how to improve! The violin is my fav ! keep like that ! :)

ok. think ...
sense... thanks :)

Yes, you can stop the lens down to the smallest aperture of the lens. Some are f/16, a lot are f/22, and some can even go down to f/36 and smaller. It does not always produce the best image quality, because diffraction can occur at very small apertures, like f/22. 50mm lenses are prime lenses, so they do not have a zoom ring.

This is not quite true. Or it is badly explained. A lens is never (rarely?) its best at either ends of its spectrum, be it Aperture wise or Focal Length wise. An f/36 lens may be just fine at f/22 while an f/22 lens may not be any good at f/22.

Whatever the aperture listed on the lens is (1.8 or 1.4 in the case of most 50mm primes), is the maximum aperture. That would be the widest one. Remember - it's a fraction. f/1.8. Think of "f" as "1" and it will all make sense. 1/2 is bigger than 1/4... Usually the "sweet spot" is a stop or two down from the maximum. Sometimes a little more... f/5.6 - f/8 is generally pretty safe though. Since were talking film, AKA - full frame, you have a little more leeway than a crop sensor.

Plus one stop is double the amount of light. A shutter speed of 1/125 will let in double the light a speed of 1/250 would. With aperture, it's a little more complicated, since you're dealing with the area of a circle instead of a time. F/2 is not double f/4. With aperture, you're doubling the area of the open area of the aperture. So, you multiply by the square root of 2 (1.41 is close enough). f/2.8 is double the area of f/2. (You might be wishing you paid more attention in highschool math now, lol.)

Eventually you'll just know this stuff. Full stops are f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22, f/32, f/45, etc...

Although this all very true, forget about fractions. It doesn't help any at first to know those are fractions. Keep it simple for right now. The aperture is related to a set of blades in the lens thant open and close according to what number you set on the lens. The widest aperture is when the blades open fully, the narrowest aperture is when the blades are almost closed. What I mentioned as nonsensical earlier is that (because the numbers are fractions) the smallest number is actually the largest aperture. And vice versa.

And you DOF (Depth of Field) preview button allows you to see the difference to some extent. It does take some getting used to.

I didn't want to start talking about full stops yet but Josh is correct that a full stop either doubles or halves the aperture. It works the same with shutter speeds by the way. But I think that's another lesson.

If a lens has a variable focal length it's a zoom, if it only has one focal length it's a prime.

Very true. A 50mm is a fixed focal length lens. Meaning it's one and only focal length is 50 mm and there is no zoom ring. A fixed focal length can be of any length (20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 50mm, etc) but only one and, yes, they are known as prime lenses.

On the other hand a 70-300 is a variable focal length lens, also known as a zoom. It goes from 70mm to 300 mm, including every mm in between.

Cheers.

Most reactions

Back