My first photos.. C&C welcome

naptime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.toledotees.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, these are my first shots.. certainly not spectacular. But also, a lot of work did not go into them.

I just got our new camera's in, used, via ebay. I stuck a roll in and took some shots, just to ensure the cameras were working.

These came out better than i thought they were going to. because i had the camera on manual, but i have no idea what the settings were. I just turned it on, set it to manual, flipped the lens to manual, and set the focus.

I couldn't tell you what iso, or aperture, or anything was. I can only tell you it was Fuji color film, ISO 200.

these were taken with the on camera flash, but with a white film canister over the flash to diffuse.

camera was a canon eos rebel 2000 film. lens was canon eos 35-80 1:4.0-5.6

i welcome all c&c. PLEASE bear in mind, i am an absolute beginner. i still haven't figured out how aperture and ISO and shutter all work together.. but we'll get there ;)

one of our cats developed a rapid liver failure, and we had to put him down. this is the little guy that came in to fill his void. but he'll never replace him. Blue Point Siamese, only 8 weeks old. This is her first day with us. I took several shots, but could not get her to look at me. I had some red eye that i was able to edit out. the only post processing was to fix the red eye, convert to grey scale, crop & re-size.

Vixen by jaythomson, on Flickr

this is our lab Bailey, the day we put our cat down. They were the best of friends for 10 years. Bailey was moping like this for about 5 days. I had "red-eye" but it was actually green eye. i could not edit it out without it looking really fake. so i left it. The only post processing was converting to grey scale, crop, and re-size.

Bailey by jaythomson, on Flickr

This is our buddy Comet. 10 years old. Over the course of 3 weeks he started eating less and less, until we noticed he was losing weight and was not eating at all. We went into the vet and found out he had rapid liver failure. 3 days later with still no eating, and little to no chance of survival, we decided it was best to put him out of his suffering. This was taken about 2 hours before. Again, as with Bailey, there was green eye, that i was not able to edit. so i left it. Post processing was converting to grey scale, crop, and re-size.

Comet by jaythomson, on Flickr

Closet Doors. While playing with the camera, i wanted to see if i could focus on something, and get the foreground and background to blur, since i have never been able to do this with my point and shoots. It worked... but i don't know if it worked well. that's up to ya'all to decide. I chose the closet doors just because i thought they would be kinda cool. The only post processing was convert to grey scale, crop and re-size.

Hallway by jaythomson, on Flickr

i welcome all c&c. but i am new. i don't claim to be a photo god. and i have a LOT to learn. so i appreciate any and all input. but please do not feel the need to come in here beating your chest or stand on a pedestal and look down on us measly beginner peasants. I'll just ignore it.

Can you try reposting the flikr links? nm..

I like #1 the most, mainly because it seems like the flash is overpowering in your other photos. Did you use a flash with #1?

It also looks really old in a good way, like it was a good picture taken decades ago, if that makes sense.

Oh and take this with a grain of salt but, for indoor shooting I use 1000 watt shop light pointed at the ceiling, instead of using the flash.

I like #1 the most, mainly because it seems like the flash is overpowering in your other photos. Did you use a flash with #1?

It also looks really old in a good way, like it was a good picture taken decades ago, if that makes sense.

thanks.

yes, all photos used the built in flash. but i had put a white film canister over the flash. cut a slit in it. with #1 I was about 4 or 5 feet away.

with 2,3,4, i still used the film canister over the flash... but, on 2 and 3, i wanted to try really getting up close, instead of zooming in. and i am literally maybe 2 feet away from each of them. which would account for the flash overpowering them, and maybe for the green eye as well?

#3, my camera right hand was pressed right up against the closet door, so again that would explain the flash on that as well.

Oh and take this with a grain of salt but, for indoor shooting I use 1000 watt shop light pointed at the ceiling, instead of using the flash.

i would have never thought of using a shop light.

i now have hot shoe flashes for both cameras as well. we ordered in vivitar 550fd's and they swivel to point up, but not left or right.

the "blur" in the background (bokeh) is caused by a bigger aperture. you list your lens having a 4-5.6f aperture max, which is not very big.

as for the photos, the only appealing one i see is the first one. the flash is really overpowering and unnatural looking in the others.

i really like the vintage look. but it looks like you have some dust on your lens or sensor.

thanks.

yes, all photos used the built in flash. but i had put a white film canister over the flash. cut a slit in it. with #1 I was about 4 or 5 feet away.

with 2,3,4, i still used the film canister over the flash... but, on 2 and 3, i wanted to try really getting up close, instead of zooming in. and i am literally maybe 2 feet away from each of them. which would account for the flash overpowering them, and maybe for the green eye as well?

#3, my camera right hand was pressed right up against the closet door, so again that would explain the flash on that as well.

Yea, I have yet to dabble with flash. I just know that I don't like how my pics turn out with it most of the time. I'll carry a 30lb shop light around my house before I'll use my flash. :lmao:

i would have never thought of using a shop light.

i now have hot shoe flashes for both cameras as well. we ordered in vivitar 550fd's and they swivel to point up, but not left or right.

Pointed up to bounce off the ceiling should work well.

the "blur" in the background (bokeh) is caused by a bigger aperture. you list your lens having a 4-5.6f aperture max, which is not very big.

as for the photos, the only appealing one i see is the first one. the flash is really overpowering and unnatural looking in the others.

i really like the vintage look. but it looks like you have some dust on your lens or sensor.

VINTAGE. That's the word I was looking for... :lmao: It's late.

This is a nighttime indoor pic with my shop light pointed at the ceiling... Just to give you an idea.

IMG_0001Medium.jpg

mods, feel free to remove this if it violates any rules or anything.

hmm i thought i created that bokeh by adjusting the focus on the lense. i didn't know i was supposed to use something else.. i'll have to do some reading on that. (these cameras are now boxed up and waiting for christmas day to arrive)

the lenses are spotless (to my eye) as is the mirror. i cleaned them all, and blew them out with air... (these are film cameras) granted, i may have missed something.. but.... i shot these.. then had walmart develop them, then scanned them in. i KNOW my scanner bed is filthy right now. laden with fingerprints, dust, a little cat hair, and god knows what else. so i'm guessing thats where that grainyness came from, as i dont see it on the actual 4x6 prints.

but, come christmas morning i will certainly check over all the lenses again.

This is a nighttime indoor pic with my shop light pointed at the ceiling... Just to give you an idea.

IMG_0001Medium.jpg

mods, feel free to remove this if it violates any rules or anything.

nice. so nothing is washed out.

that's what i'm hoping to accomplish with the hot shoe flashes. if not... i've got 4 shoplights in the shop :)

so, that 75-300 lens is 4-5.6. is that the lens you used for the nighttime scene in downtown boise with the cars. or a different lens? did you use it for the zoomed in shot?

i dont have the same brand.. but i have a quantaray 70-300 4-5.6 i never even looked through it outside. only in the living room. and wow, it sure made things bigger from 10 feet away! lol can't wait to head downtown with it.

Most reactions

Back