My first post - and Critique - A Train.

Pyrex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my very first post on the forums, and I'm excited to show off a real basic picture I took of a train at night. I'd like to know what you think and some suggestions.
Train_001.jpg

On this picture the lens flare was a big pain in the ass, I did my best to maintain a good histogram reading. To minimize the lens flare, I increased shutter time to compensate for a higher aperture... but I had to find a medium.

I enjoy the color in the pic, and I have done no post editing, this is directly out of the camera. What are some tips basically revolving around night photography.. it is my primary interest.

Welcome to the board Pyrex! Sadly I see nothing but a red X in all three of your posts.

Hi again, Pyrex, and this time I won't move any pics or red x's (as this is all your server is offering us for the time being) around from Photo Critique to the General Gallery, as for this you ask a specific question, and that seems to go absolutely well with our guidelines to Critique.

I am now really curious to see your photos at last!

Yeah! About 10 minutes after I posted these my server went down! GRR

toot toot, no more red x!

Hey now, that server is back to work. Good to see the train at last.
But I can't help it, the flare is a nuisance here. I don't mind the rays that come into your frame from the light, but I do mind the "flying saucers".
Plus I believe this photo could do with a slight boost of contrasts ... and if you don't want to or can't remove the flare in PS yourself, you may always place this photo in the Photoshop Challenges (under Photo Themes) and have someone else do the work for you :wink:

Hey now, that server is back to work. Good to see the train at last.
But I can't help it, the flare is a nuisance here. I don't mind the rays that come into your frame from the light, but I do mind the "flying saucers".
Plus I believe this photo could do with a slight boost of contrasts ... and if you don't want to or can't remove the flare in PS yourself, you may always place this photo in the Photoshop Challenges (under Photo Themes) and have someone else do the work for you :wink:

Is there anymore more that I can do to prevent flares? I'll do a pass in photoshop to clean it up, I just wish it could be avoided.

put your hand up to block the light, since your working at night you could just stand in a spot blocking it out.

put your hand up to block the light, since your working at night you could just stand in a spot blocking it out.

I ran into a issue with that. Despite the fact that I had a HUGE hood on the lens, I couldnt reach out far enough to stop the light, and I wasn't about to grab my remote and dance around like a fool trying to block light I can't see from the viewfinder, lol.

Other than the flares, it's excellent. You might have been shooting with the aperature to open, causing more flares....
Cosmo

Other than the flares, it's excellent. You might have been shooting with the aperature to open, causing more flares....
Cosmo

I lowed it as much as I could and compensated with shutter time, but I was loosing much of the color, which is best, long shutter to low aperture, or faster shutter to higher aperture when it comes to low light?

Most lenses sweet spot is around f/8 or f/11. A lens hood might have helped as well. But were the light was coming from and the angle you shot at the flares might have been unavoidable...
Cosmo

Most lenses sweet spot is around f/8 or f/11. A lens hood might have helped as well. But were the light was coming from and the angle you shot at the flares might have been unavoidable...
Cosmo

Thanks for the info, I'll definately take your advice.

Nobody else mentioned it but I think the shot could use some color correction love too. Everything seems to have a yellow tint and you can't really see any sharp / deep blacks. It's a good shot though composition wise. Maybe try to reshoot the scene using a custom white balance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back