My first prom shoot...

Erik McCormick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Got this lovely couple an hour or so before prom to snap off a few pictures. We just tried one location and as I said, had at most an hour to do some photos. Here are a few of my favorites:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ah, an hour? Plenty of time... ;)

They're good photos. I'd certainly be happy with them. I love how the colours pop, almost to the point of going "WHAM" and assaulting my eyes. The watermark is big and obnoxious though, and detracts from the photos themselves; if you're going to make it that might you might as well put it dead centre (note that I have a hate-on for watermarks, and no matter how small it is I would still think it's obnoxious, so don't take me too seriously). :p

What lighting setup were you using? Did you have strobes off camera or were you just using a fill flash? Or neither?

The B&W one looks unsharp to me, though I suspect that may be because of the addition of grain in post (correct me if I'm wrong; I'm guessing here). That or just low quality JPEG (my definition of "low quality" being anything less than 10, mind...) compression.

In any case, brilliantly done, sir. *tips hat*

Last edited:
The focus looks soft on the last two...other than that, well done.

What did you use for lighting?

Thanks for the comments and critiques! Yes, the focus is soft on the last two. Not sure why on the 2nd to last, but I know I used f/2.8 on the very last one and the guy is barely out of the focus plane.

As for lighting, everything was taken in shade outside. No strobes or reflectors. I'm not very good with artificial lighting and only ocassionally use it!

I think they are great! Would maybe like to see them in a different environment though. In the last one, his head partially covers up her hair piece, and the part sticking out is a bit distracting.

Number 3 is my favorite.

Really nice... I keep feeling like maybe the colors are washed out until I look at the clothes... were they really both that pale?

I might sharpen them a bit, but I'm a bit of a sharpening addict.

The compositions and expressions and such are really nice. Very well done, IMO.

Thanks for the comments and critiques! Yes, the focus is soft on the last two. Not sure why on the 2nd to last, but I know I used f/2.8 on the very last one and the guy is barely out of the focus plane.

As for lighting, everything was taken in shade outside. No strobes or reflectors. I'm not very good with artificial lighting and only ocassionally use it!

Strobes can be difficult anyway. *is attacked by his flash*

*wrestles with it for a moment*

Shade is even and safe lighting, so kudos for using it to your advantage. If it works, then there's no need to add artificial lighting. :thumbup:

Well well, you went and did it again didn't you? :) You didn't let me in on these man! Very nice work as always my friend, top notch.

Holy wow- that is one killer prom get-up! Bold. I love it. Good for her!

The photos are awesome. Silky smooth lighting.

Most reactions

Back