My first real oppertunity

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Back when I started photography I had no particular intentions of going beyond certain type of shots (I.E. Cataloging Damage, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/Photos/automotive/100_0689.jpg, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/Photos/automotive/100_0685.jpg) But for the last year or so I have been making more of a serious hobby out of it and trying to broaden my scope a bit.

For the past couple weeks I have been on a bit of a landmark kick. Couple weeks ago I went down to take some shots of the Salamanca Rail Museum (formerly Known as the Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh Depot In Salamanca.) Unfortunately the building is under repair because of either vandalism or fire I can't remember which. There where two doors (one on either side of the building) boarded over. I took a couple of shots any way despite that but figured I would return for better.

A couple days ago I took a stroll down there to see if any progress had been made on those doors (there had not) when I noticed the curator was out doing some cleaning out front. I figured I'd stop and ask him if he had any idea as to when it would be fixed since he was right there. He noticed my camera and asked about it. I told him flat out "I want to get pictures of the building but the ply-wood is a little unsightly."

After asking if I had done any of the Erie station, He offered to cooperate with a bunch of different shots including but not limited to night shots as well as putting some prints on display inside with my name on them. I honestly think he is jumping the gun, he may have been a little excited to see some one with a real camera within two hundred yards of the place as he did not even ask to see what I had taken. Never the less, It's an opportunity to get shots I would under other circumstances be unable to get as well as possibly putting my name into a world I never thought I'd reach.

I am not sure if I should take him up on it or not.

Your question means: should you go for it or not?
Well, of course you should!

Back in the days when I still actively translated for people, I had to accompany the groups to all the places only visitors from abroad would ever be taken to to be guided around and take extensive looks and learn about it --- and I loved the chances and opportunities I thus got to ALSO go to those places and learn the same things (sometimes being there for the first time was a bit rough on my vocabulary, if it were industrial plants I was not always quite as prepared for the technical terms that would soon flood the conversation, but I never showed and translated as best as I could and it always worked fine).

So, even if you are a little surprised and unsure about things ... just jump at the chance! :D

I should, I make a lot of mistakes but I do have a little time to work out the bugs so to speak. If I play my cards right one or more of them could end up on a post card (Pending I get them right of course.) There are a small handfull of shots I feel would make great post cards. With Out of state tourism back on the rise now is the best time to get my foot in the door. Everything starts with one and goes from there.

The thing holding me back is the fact I have no composition ability and I don't believe I am anywhere near ready to stick my foot in that door. A Failure of that nature would prolly kill me. But in the mean time I'll start planning a shoot and getting practice shoots just to be safe.

also:

For those who are curious here is the snap shot I took the other day.VV
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/Photos/Picture1.jpg

Just a quickie not much thought there.

There should be no question. Go for it! Simply have to to put your best into it. Sounds like your are on the right path. Only problem is if you blow it they will never use you again. Which is fine. There will always be other opportunities out there. If nothing else it will be a learning experience.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back