My First Real Session Ever!

graecyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.littlelamplight.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In an attempt to build my portfolio up with something other than my dogs, I advertised on Craigslist for free photography services! Happily, I got a request to do engagement photos (something I've been wanting to do for ages!). So here are my favorites from the session. It was a definite learning experience though.... for example... it was an engagement session, but I completely neglected the ring. *le sigh* Woops! Lesson learned.

11.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

8.jpg

5 & 6
2.jpg

12.jpg

10.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

The one where you cut off their heads. Try to crop more into their shoulders so it doesn't look like they are decapitated. Try not to cut off at joints like the neck.

Look nice though! I've never done wedding and I don't think I would have done as well as this for my first time. But that's not really saying much I guess as I'm pretty much a rookie ;)

You have a nice start. First I am not really a fan of the processing but that is your style as you choose. You were able to capture some nice, genuine moments between the two of them but I would have liked to have seen one or two with a simple pose looking at the camera. Your backgrounds are really busy (especially in #7) so it distracts from the subject. #4 looks like he fell into her face, he is all smushed up into her. He is also holding onto her side for dear life bringing attention to a fat roll (not to be mean since she is not fat but it does catch my attention). Anyway, like I said, it's a nice start. Keep shooting and you will get it with time.

Not bad at all, one observation I will make however is that some of them would have been much stronger with a shallower DoF. I can't see the EXIF data for your images, so I'm not sure what settings were used.

I think they're pretty good and darn good for a first try! There is a greenish cast from your processing that strikes me.

After looking at all of them the only thing I noticed was you never really see her face.

A couple of odd posing/composition related issues:

1. With two exceptions (5 & 6) they're all in landscape orientation...tighter framing and portrait orientation would have improved many, if not most of these.
2. Picture #2, watermark placement is unfortunate...I thought the colored symbol was part of her outfit at first. Also, the kiss looks unnatural in this one.
3. Picture #4, his hand...'nuff said.
4. Pictures #5&7, distracting background.
5. Picture #6, focused on finger, not ring, exagerated wrinkly skin (back off on the contrasty look here).

Photos are pretty decent but I think his t-shirt took a lot away from the set. A white button down would have been much nicer and better for post processing. Never forget to control wardrobe of the clients as well.

I really really like these!

After looking at all of them the only thing I noticed was you never really see her face.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Don't worry, you see it in the 15 others I didn't post. These are just my favorites. I'm a girl, what can I say. I'm much more preoccupied with the guy. :D

I like #9, it has a good feel to it, I think there are too many of them kissing, looks like the should just get a room and jump to the honeymoon. A lot of the poses are very similar, work on creating a better variety of poses. Some of them, they look uncomfortable, but overall I think they should be happy with these.

I love them! Especially for your first photo shoot you did amazing! Love your editing style. Keep it up! :)

Most reactions

Back