My first selective colouring

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I'm ready to be buried alive with this thread, but I'll give it a shot anyway...

6 exposures, 1EV apart. This is the view from our balcony. I find the house distracting, and thought I'd give SC a go. When I think of it, I guess my vision was to show detail in all aspects of our view, but the sky is the main subject in this photo. I realise there are major compositional issues with this one. Basically what I want to know is if this idea could at all work. I am able to move around our house and the neighbourhood to find a suited spot for the view. The clouds were awesome today.
I started swimming in deep waters... did I drown, lose a leg from a shark or swim back untouched? (if you get the metaphor ;))

HDR utsikt terassen by Bokehliciousness-ness, on Flickr

I just realised the tiff file is 213MB!!!! OMG!

Thanks!

Not a fan. Seems because of the recent threads on here about C&C I feel like I have to elablorate. I do not like only the blue sky because I feel like it is not pleasing to my eye. Next time you should not make just the sky blue.

Dude.. I would delete it right now LOL.

Not really liking it, in a landscape I want to see the colors of the sky, trees, surroundings.

Selective coloring is something that rarely looks good in my opinion. While you did well in getting the selective coloring done, it does not come off well, I'm sure the photo entirely in black and white or entirely in color would look much better.

Ouch, I drowned LOL :lol: :biglaugh:

Deleting it tomorrow, I'll let as many as possible feed on my body first :p

Totally not getting the hate here. Composition could be better, but I'm ok with the SC.

I think you have done a great job if the selective colouring but maybe try it some other photos too? :)

While you may have mastered the technique as such quite well, the choice of subject wasn't one of the wisest, I think. You'd normally go for some selective colouring if it is a certain subject in your photo that you wish to stand out. I remember a very well done S C done by Mentos, who sadly no longer comes to this forum, on street signs, which were kind of featured in her pic (I think it was that), and she only left all the red of their edges... something like that. That photo impressed me quite a bit back then, but it's been years and years ago when she posted it... But those street signs then really stood out and the desired effect was quite well underlined.
But leaving the largest element in colour and putting the rest into b&w doesn't make sense here, as the sky already dominates your picture, anyway, it IS the main subject by its sheer SIZE inside the frame.

Thanks, that helps. Perhaps I'll it write down on my "things to achieve" -list to get one of those well-done SC shots :) I found this as a great exercise anyway, using layer masks isn't as hard as I thought it was. This opens up new pp-doors. After all, layers is basically what Photoshop was meant for, it's about time I start learning to use some of it :p

Most reactions

Back