My first shoot with my first DSLR.

AnimalHunter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
BEHOLD! My FIRST - and not last - DSLR. And some of my first shots.

#1 Camera Presentation
nikon-unveiling.jpg

A wierd effect I'm not sure what happened but I moved during the timer I guess. I thought it looked cool me fading into nothing. Can someone perhaps let me in on the technique for doing that again?

dsc_0058.jpg

The following is some sort of education for all of you being as I'm over here in South Korea and it's rice planting time. The following is rice seedlings. Taken at 12:13am with no flash and overhead lighting provided by a streetlamp. I was playing with the macro and seeing how much detail this new camera could get...apperently dew drops! I'm scared to think if I had a macro prime lens for such an occasion! The detail!
Which of the following are your favorites and why please asthetically or technically.

dsc_0100.jpg

dsc_0101.jpg

dsc_0104.jpg

dsc_0111.jpg

Looking forward to comments and or how to make things better. Cheers! (T-minus 3 days until the 300mm!):thumbup:

Can you go into why you posted the last 4 images?
If you ask for help, put a little effort to help us help you.

Whats different about each?

2. You may have possibly caught a glimpse into the rapture as it happened in the second one. Sorry, sorry looks like you didnt make the cut, and are stuck here with the rest of us.

3-6. I think your mind was on smoking the grass perhaps? I don't believe this kind of grass will do you any good though. It's wet anyway.

A wierd effect I'm not sure what happened but I moved during the timer I guess. I thought it looked cool me fading into nothing. Can someone perhaps let me in on the technique for doing that again?
If you learn how the camera works, you will be able to control it so you can do all kinds of interesting effects.

The scene had low light, and the depth-of-field (DOF) indicates a fairly small lens aperture was set further reducing the amount of light reaching image sensor per unit of time. So the shutter had to be open for a length of time that recorded your movement as a blur while it was open. In fact the shutter was open long enough some of the background was recorded after you moved forward a bit, making you appear 'ghostly'.

In terms of what is different about the last 4 images, Bitter Jeweler, do you mean the ISO settings and the F settings etc?

I noticed in the last 4 images small variations in the coloring and the ways the camera captured the small droplets of dew on the rice.

My goal of posting the four shots is trying to determine if one of them is "better" or sharper then the other three for starters.

But in all honesty Bitter, are they all the same photo?

In terms of what is different about the last 4 images, Bitter Jeweler, do you mean the ISO settings and the F settings etc?

I noticed in the last 4 images small variations in the coloring and the ways the camera captured the small droplets of dew on the rice.

My goal of posting the four shots is trying to determine if one of them is "better" or sharper then the other three for starters.

I don't mean to be harsh, but those grass shots are showing us the same with slightly different perspectives. Try to think what you want to express in your shot. Why did you take it? I'm assuming you wanted to show the details of the droplets. If that was the case, you should try to somehow isolate that in the image. Now, there's just too much of the same greeny stuff (for my taste). If you were able to get one grass with droplets (can I say that? one grass?), that would make a much more interesting shot. You probably need a dedicated macro lens for that. When shooting these things that everyone see every time, a (very) smart thing to do, is to take the shot from another hight than our eyes. We're used to see grass from 160-190 cm over the ground. Lower the camera and get some BOKEHLICIOUSNESS in your shot. If that word didn't tell you very much, you must watch DigitalrevTV on youtube! Great show. Anyway, when shooting everyday "objects", shooting from a perspective that we're not used to see it from, is smart.

How about an exercise? Decide on something everyday-ish to shoot. Take your time and decide how to make the shot as interesting as possible. Perspectives, background blur etc. It's all about making the shot interesting somehow, and your artistic imagination is the only limitation to that :)

No, I meant why post four of basically the same thing. Same angle...

To get effective comments, you need to guide your audience a little and give the information you just did in your initial post.
We're not mind readers.

Basically, yes, they are.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Again, it's my first DSLR and I'm new to photography in general so all these comments are awesome. Please keep them coming. I'm still trying to figure out subject in the shot and "what I want to say" idea.
In terms of learning I'm trying to read all the articles but I find it's getting overwhealming. I'm checking out the resources on this website and their awesome.
There was a rule of three that sounds pretty easy, so I think I'm going to go there for my next post.

Don't overwhelm yourself, learn and practice one or two things at a time.

Yes! The Rule of Thirds is a great starting point for learning composition. It is pretty straight forward, but how you use it can go deeper than what it first seems.

Most reactions

Back