My First Sunrise

AndrewGS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a complete newB and can only afford a mid-line camera, but here is my first attempt at shooting a coastal sunrise. These were taken on East Beach in Galveston, Texas.

100_0760edited800.jpg

100_0777edited800.jpg

100_0785edited800.jpg

I await your critiques. :salute:

wow i like the second shot too . . . I like the colors and the clouds really give an amazing details . . . well done (Y)

I think that the second one is best also.

It is a good exercise for the new photographer to pick out why and what there is about that picture that makes other people think it better.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. There are more pictures in the set but I thought these three were the best.

It is a good exercise for the new photographer to pick out why and what there is about that picture that makes other people think it better.

Why do I think it's the best? I'd say the Sun being behind the clouds allows the Sun's color to be seen more clearly against the sky, the birds, clouds and water in the foreground and the overall crisp details.

Am I looking at the picture and judging it correctly?

I also really like the first one because of the colors and thier reflection on the wet beach.

I like the second one the best out of the three as well. IMHO they could use a little more contrast and maybe a saturation boost but thats just me. Nice job.

i like the 2nd one also... compared to the first, there is nothing blown out and compared to the 3rd, more of the image is in focus (the rocks on the shore seem soft) plus the interesting horizon, water patterns and rocky shore line keep they eye moving around the image.

the colors are very nice though...

for the first image, i'd have set the exposure for the sky so that you retain the detail there... it's all muddied by the half exposed sky half exposed ground...

as deadeye pointed out, you can make it more spectacular by increasing contrast (will darken shadows) and bumping saturation a touch (make pretty colors breathtaking), but if these are straight out of the camera, it's really nice

here is a quick edit... not sure if you'll like it or not...
sunrise1lk2.jpg

oops after looking at my own edit, i would crop a touch off the bottom and top (the top i'd remove enough to eliminate the half cloud and possibly go a bit lower to more effectively use the space on top.

there is a little bit of room to crop on the right side too, (in order to have the sun a bit more off center) but the colors are so nice, it's a shame to lose them

Most reactions

Back