My first time developing film, many frames are missing?!

leinadg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I developed a BW film (HP5+) for the first time. The film is now hanging to dry, can't wait to scan it :)

But: Only 18 of 36 frames are visible. All of the 10 first are showing, and then the number of visible frames gets gradually fewer. The name of the film is visible all along the roll.

Is it possible that my battery in my Canon EOS 500 gets so low that it can't open the shutter? The battery was not very low either.. The mirror lifts and film advances as normally though. I can't think of any other good reason for this...

What do you think?

Daniel

Edit: I have already shot two rolls of superia 200 whit that camera that turned out good, but did not develop that myself.

It's not a developing problem, it's a camera problem.

Sticky shutter?

Does the shutter have any sort of residue on it?

You need to tell us what you were shooting. Daytime? Night? Outdoor? Indoor? What light? Using flash? Filters? What lens? Shooting auto mode? Manual?

Thanks for replies :)

If its a sticky shutter, the problem must have started while shooting this film, as my two previous films has good exposure. I have another film ready to be developed tomorrow.

Allmost all shots where shot in daylight with sunshine. No filters. 17-40mm F4L lens. Av mode, no over/under exposure.

But the frames is not overexposed or underexposed, there is simply nothing there.

Are the blank frames dark or clear?

Look at the shutter. Do you know what to look for, for signs of a sticky shutter? It can be intermittent...

Her is a photo of the film:

$IMG_0919 (small).jpg

I did a google search, so I now know what to look for. Unfortunately, Im half way trough a roll of Provia 100F :p
I guess the sticky shutter seems like the most logic reason for this happening.

Sticky shutter usually also has half exposed frames mixed in (unless it's really sticky). Take the lens off, lift the mirror (carefully) - are there any signs of a sticky shutter on the front? Check the back the next time the camera is empty.

If you were using flash (and the light from the flash made up 100% of the exposure), that could be to blame too.

If it is a sticky shutter, you'll want to clean the residue off the shutter with Q-tips and alcohol (or some other solvent). Be careful not to push too hard. Inspect the shutter periodically to make sure it doesn't need more cleaning.

edit
And you should probably also replace all of the foam - that is what would be making the shutter sticky. All foams break down eventually, it's only a matter of time.

Canon film cameras havent stood the test of time all that well, sticky/malfunctioning shutters are typical, id suggest a pentax or a nikon replacement.

How about the possibility of GROSS UNDER-EXPOSURE????? I'd think about that one...

Are you using the light meter on every shot? I mean, a shutter "issue" is almost always an all-or-nothing deal on a focal plane shutter in a modern camera. Either it WORKS, or it does not. My guess is you are shooting in Manual exposure mode, and are forgetting to set the exposure on many frames. Of course, this is a guess made from a long distance away, and with only a few bits of information to go on.

Derrel could be on the right track ... if the frame is blank, it means it was not exposed to light.

If you were shooting in Av (shutter priority) and you are sure the camera did not indicate underexposure ... it could also be an electronic problem, either the shutter is firing faster than your selected speed or the lens aperture is closing down more than the camera is telling you ... or the light meter is going insane.

Haha, it's so much easier to diagnose digital photos with Exif data :lmao:

I'm not really big on film, but could another cause for the blank frames be that the film advance is moving the film too far, so certain frames are never even stopping behind the shutter to get exposed? Just a slightly educated guess based on common sense and my (all digital) photography experience.

Haha, it's so much easier to diagnose digital photos with Exif data :lmao:

I'm not really big on film, but could another cause for the blank frames be that the film advance is moving the film too far, so certain frames are never even stopping behind the shutter to get exposed? Just a slightly educated guess based on common sense and my (all digital) photography experience.

Agreed-EXIF data would be most helpful. I happen to have an Analog EXIF Data Encoder Unit for sale for only $125...the OP is welcome to make any reasonable offer on it...free shipping with that too!!! I do not have a good image of the AEDiEU unit hosted on-line, but it is sooooo handy! When you have one, you can say "Adieu to all your exposure headaches!!!"

Here's a link to a unit almost exactly like the one I have for sale for $129 (or reasonable offer), and again--FREE SHIPPING!@!!!!@! pencil-n-paper_jpg.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback! Sorry for replying so late

I did some testing with the camera back open today. It seems that the problem is a sticky shutter. If the camera was not used for 5 min or longer, the first shot at a fast shutter speed (ca 1/125 and up), the shutter does not open. On the next ten shots it opens, every time. I will try to clean the shutter, as there is some dirt on it thats seems to come from the camera.

I don't think I underexposed as I often use Av mode and the meeter seems to work fine compared to my 40D.

Derrel, your exif data encoding devise seem like an awesome deal! :p Is pen and paper a new concept? Seems more convenient then typing on a phone :)

-Daniel

Most reactions

Back