My First Time-Lapse was a Failure....

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Clearly, 5 seconds between photo's was FAR too long for this type of Time-Lapse. However, this is only my first, and I have learned a lot--I wish I had more road in view, and in FOCUS, less internal car space, more photo's, and a cleaner/more even exposure (the shade and bright sunlight wreaked havoc).

Regards,
Jake

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a dash cam for that...

Did you take it in jpegs or raw? Seems to have "clarity" settings on high.

Jpegs for two reasons--This was my first try, so I wasn't overly concerned with quality, and I didn't want a massive set of files for a time-lapse that may have sucked. Haha.

What program did you use to compose this?

Do you have a wide angle?

This was I think every 5-10 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:

I used IMovie, and 17mm is the widest I have. I think if I were to do it again, I would shoot every 2 seconds, in RAW, and aim for a lower perspective, or even from the front passenger seat.

However, for my drive, that would be 1100 or so photo's, which scares me, because I hate putting so many shots on my body. Haha.

I used IMovie, and 17mm is the widest I have. I think if I were to do it again, I would shoot every 2 seconds, in RAW, and aim for a lower perspective, or even from the front passenger seat.

However, for my drive, that would be 1100 or so photo's, which scares me, because I hate putting so many shots on my body. Haha.

RAW would be too crazy. I would suggest jpg just for work flow sake.

In imovie check for something called frame blend. works really well for making jpeg more seamless when doping a time lapse.

In imovie check for something called frame blend. works really well for making jpeg more seamless when doping a time lapse.

Hmm.. Couldn't seem to find it.

Not sure if they have it or have something similar. I use it in Premiere when doing time lapses.

Not sure if they have it or have something similar. I use it in Premiere when doing time lapses.

It looks like premiere is out of my price range... Haha.

For smoother action set the shutter speed longer, like 1 second and use a ND filter. What did you have WB set at? You don't want auto.

I've used the frame blending in After Effects only because I time-remapped. Made a few other time lapses and didn't need the frame blending. I'm still learning so trial & error. Geoff Thompkinson shoots awesome hyper-lapse and shoots in jpg mostly and rarely uses frame blending. Check out his work here.

Also good time lapse how to at Timescapes.org The FAQ.

For smoother action set the shutter speed longer, like 1 second and use a ND filter. What did you have WB set at? You don't want auto.

I've used the frame blending in After Effects only because I time-remapped. Made a few other time lapses and didn't need the frame blending. I'm still learning so trial & error. Geoff Thompkinson shoots awesome hyper-lapse and shoots in jpg mostly and rarely uses frame blending. Check out his work here.

Also good time lapse how to at Timescapes.org The FAQ.

Wow! He has some awesome timelapses.

The more movement in the scene the shorter the interval between shots. Not bad for a first effort. For a car trip I would shoot frame a second.

The more movement in the scene the shorter the interval between shots. Not bad for a first effort. For a car trip I would shoot frame a second.

That's around 3000 photos... THAT'S SO MANY! Haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back