My first time panning

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One of the first NESBA track days at Summit Point this year. I shot at 1/100, I think 1/160 or 1/200 would have been better as I was shooting at 200mm and it would have helped the keeper rate. The track photographer was shooting a nikon with presumably the 70-200 on a monopod. A monopod would probably be a good idea as well. I was using a 30d with my 70-200 2.8 is, shooting in mode 2.

As per usual, click for the Flickr page.

First time panning....

Very nice.

First time panning....

Very nice.

Thanks. I tried turn one at the track which is like 50ish mph, but the sun was getting low and I was shooting into it, the only other good spot without walking two miles was turn 10....which is a 90+ mph turn that goes into the front straight....that was a bit difficult.

those are great! i tired the other day and they were all blurry. :p

We've already had this discussion. Nice pics.

Nice Work!!

Can you tell a big difference in panning ease when using Mode 2? (versus no IS)?

Heck I get panning shots when there just sitting there ha. Oh wait thats just blur .They look great dun good !!!

I think you did a great job man. I didn't realize there was a race out there recently. That's a great place to go for some shots.

Are you near there? I'm not sure where Durtburg is. lol Is this Martinsburg?

I had a look at your Flickr images. Lots of great work on there. You certainly have learned to control light!

One of the few times I wish my 70-200 F2.8 L had IS.

Shots turned out great, but how many turned out in total? I shoot dirt and just try to freeze the action instead with fast shutter speeds, but then again they aren't often going 50+ mph.

This year i hope to get to the local track for some road course shots and I imagine I'd have to start panning.

Are you looking for CC?

WEEEELLLL THEEENN..

Just because all three shots were done in the same manner, and I know you can't get "head on" shots because of crash zones unless you have really long glass, but maybe try getting some rear shots. I know, i know. Nobody likes to see ass shots, but motorcyclists much like myself know we aren't looking at the ass, but more of the form, lean angle, exhaust fire, sparks, etc.

That is all =)

You can reduce the amount of focusing needed by placing yourself at the focal point of the turn. That way the entire time the bike is in the turn they will be at the same distance from you. The less you have to worry about focus the more you can concentrate on the shot. And once you focus for the radius of the turn you wont have to mess with it as long as you are in that spot.

Vince

Most reactions

New Topics

Back