My First Wedding Gallery

Haasim Mahanaim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I finally have some photos to share.

I don't have any pics of the bride and grrom since I was more than an hour late. (I have never been able to arrive on time for an appointment/event when going with my family.)

None of my indoor pics were exposed properly because the dining hall was poorly lit and I don't have a flash yet. So here is my first serious attempt attempt at amateur photography using an old Minolta Maxxum 7000 and some cheap film.

I assume the colours would have been richer, had I used premium film.

13.jpg

2.jpg

10.jpg

I don't know any of these people, but they were nice enough to let me take their picture. This photo utilized my most basic understanding of composition. I wish these photos were a bit brighter; it looks like something from a funeral instead of a wedding. (I barely knew what I was doing when adjusting the settngs. So I'm grateful the photos were usable at all.)

3.jpg

11.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

My mom and dad. I just noticed that the shrubs in the background are nicely centered between my two subjects. But that's hardly anything to brag about now is it?

9.jpg

The envelope reflected on the windshield is the very invitation for the wedding were about to attend, but we got there late, so I took pictures of us waiting in the car.

1.jpg

And another one.

This is a pic of my brother. He''s 16 years old and very moody. People say we look alike and I guess we do. (He just recently signed up on this board claming he wants to be a photographer. But he's not really pursuing it as agressively as I am. )

In this pic he is holding the box for the pack of film I bought to take this very picture.

12.jpg

It's out of focus, but I like the pose.

14.jpg

Another out-of-focus pic, but I like all of the lines going up and down all over the place.

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get.

Hmmm..... why not you talk about your photos?

I find that I have something to say for each of my photos. It can be my intention, a story, a fluke, or something that I realised later.

So tell us abt your work. You got to have something to say. It's yours, you know it best.

I posted so many photos, I was afraid to comment on each one. But you're right, I should provide a little bit of a commentary and I will.

My immediate thoughts, Haasim, are the following:

I, too, had to learn the hard way that where there is a lot of light, there also is a lot of shadow.
Which means: when the sun's shining brightly, which usually may make the hearts of a wedding party skip a beat of pure joy, the photographer is going to have a hard time. Lots of sunshine - lots of shadows! Easy for the eye to outbalance, problematic for a camera.
Which means: you will have to invest in a flash really soon.

That flash could have helped you to really SEE that elderly lady's face in your first photo, while now there's that shadow of a branch RIGHT across her face. Which is such a pity! More so since we only get to see the backs of the two other persons in this picture.

About your second and third (if I remember right) with that one couple sitting on that little wall, you comment on your basic knowledge of composition. I do see that you tried to get these two out of the centre of your picture into the righthand third. But they LOOK that way, too, i.e. they LOOK to the right side of the picture, right OUT OF it... it would have been better to place them into the LEFTHAND third of the photo then, to give them room to look at. Do you understand? Plus the waiting lady on the far left is very distracting.

I quite like your fourth picture because you clearly caught a theme, i.e. two members of a party, one of who is well to be recognised, and you caught them in a very natural interaction. The background is a little blurred, so the focus stays with your two persons. That is good. All in all, the photo is a bit bright, I say. But that's something that can be changed easily.

The following, with the focus on the man's face only, who is VERY far left, and most unfortunately once more in the deep shadow of a branch that only bright sunlight can produce, is not so good. Too much of it is blurred and gives me the feeling that I forgot to put on my glasses (I am shortsighted).

I'm running out of time and can therefore not say something about each and every single one of your photos, but of the ones still to follow, many still have some snapshot character to my mind. But I can see what you see and meant to capture. I can tell where you like lines and special framings. That is good.

Do post more photos - this board is a very good place for intense, but smooth and gentle learning, so I have had a chance to find out.

Thanks for the feedback.

re: pics 2 and 3

At the time of shooting the photo, I thought having the woman in the left would add balance or something. BUt after looking at the finished result, I knew it was a mistake and I guess I just needed someone to tell me that to be sure.

deb said:
What type of equipment are you using?

A first generation Minolta Maxxum 7000 (and no flash)

A 28-80mm lens

And a 3 pack of Shopper's DrugMart 'Life' brand ISO 200 film
(Fellow canucks are probably familar with this brand)

I echo LaFoto, a flash would have helped you tremendously here. I never really understood fill flash until I tried a series with and without it, it really helps to understand how it lightens the shadows and adds depth to the photo. I think you've got the drive to learn about photography and that will take you a long way.

Most reactions

Back