my friend's band and such

carlita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
i wasn't really pleased with what i got from this show, but... there were a few that at least had some neat things goin on i guess despite all the things that could still be way better about them. :?

C128268176538f_photo.jpg

C12826911828f_photo.jpg

this empty cup picture turned out to almost be my favorite. isn't that sad??
C12826933801f_photo.jpg

i actually didn't take this next one. the bass player asked me for my camera which i'd never have given him if he wasn't one of my close friends... i rarely let anyone touch my camera(s). so anyway, he took this shot of the crowd from the stage during the show:
C128261090509f_photo.jpg

so... yeah. i think this last one is my favorite. it trips me out.
C12826873681f_photo.jpg

for those of you who'd talked with me about this ahead of time, i ended up leaving the tripod at home. these were pretty much all 1/2 to 1 second long exposures. a couple of them used a tiny little bit of a flash but nothing major. i didn't want to kill the pretty lights and all. since i wasn't using a tripod i tried to brace myself as well as i could by leaning on things. i even put the camera up against this pillar i was standing by part of the time. that helped some. it limited me quite a bit as far as the angles i was able to shoot from though. :?

oh well... you live and you learn i guess.

i think their quite interesting :D .. they look wicked ... i would even offer to do some "studio" stuff of them or take them around town so they can have some variety ... perhaps they'll use them for promo pics and you can get a name for yourself :D ... maybe even one for their CD cover :wink:

I think they look great. When dealing with slow shutter speeds, constantly changing lighting, and subjects that are bouncing around it's always going to require a little bit of luck to get the great shots. Up your odds by taking lots of pics. As you said, live and learn. As you learn what to expect from a subject/situation, then you can start to plan about the next time. Here's some other things I remembered since I posted.

Try E6, but have it cross processed in C41 for prints. It ups contrast and wacks out the colors.

Try a monopod. I've never used one myself, but a friend insists it gives him at least two more stops than handheld, and it's a lot more nimble than a tripod. He also has a neat trick of setting the camera on timer and using the monopod like a camera boom to get new angles. Works great for getting above crowds.

Hi Carlita - those are actually really funky. Very vibrant colours!

The second one looks like he hurling or has a long green tongue :p :)

Damn Matt, i am so unoriginal, the Monopod tip is a great idea! I never would have thought about using it as a boom for different angles. Great tip!
Carli, the long exposures aare really interesting, I liked them alot. If next time you want some crisper pics try pushing the film. I don't think i saw that mentioned as an option in the other thread. With color films you can easily push 1 stop and get very little loss of quality, it ups the contrast and i think makes alot of pics look cool.
If you wanna take some B&W's of the band when they play i would use some tri-x 400 and push it to 1600 or maybe even 3200 to stop action. Tri-x is extremely easy to push, it will even go up to 6400 iso if you wish it.
Pushing it 1 stop to 800 doesn't require any extra dev. time even though i give it an extra 2 min in the developer, push two stops and i use D76 1:1 ratio with water for 16 min, at 68 degrees. If you want to really push it, 3200 looks really good when you use straight D76 at 10-11 minutes at 68 degrees. Very contrasty but i think the band would really dig em.

hey carli, I really like what you did with these!!! I told you they would look all "AP" like.

way to go woman.

md

Well done as always! The Cup photo has a "you can keep drinking, but you can't do it here" feel. Sadly enough I liked it as well. The other photos have a sense of motion and spontaneity that is all to often not there in "band" photos. Technically, why not throw a fill flash into the mix? The effect opens up the shadow areas, but it can get a little dodgy because you are using to different light temperatures. Generally the flash takes over, but when it goes bad it goes BAD.

I love shooting bands and have done quite a bit of it in black&white. I've offered to shoot bands in the Twin Cities and a few have asked me to get some color shots of their shows. Yikes....color! Not my favorite, but I'll give it a shot.

Can anyone provide any guidance on what I might need to know or do for color correction? I assume that the light sources and light shows that a typical band will have might require some kind of filtration with most color films?

???

????

?????????

Would appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

-Fekhten

Most reactions

Back