My Friends Son (Portrait) C&C

Alpha500

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

This is a picture of my friends some climbing a tree, taken on a recent camping trip.

C&C is welcomed.

It is a reasonably exposed and focus shot but why have you cropped it so that he is in the middle?
Crop it back to 4 x 6 and get him off the center and remove much of that useless space behind him.

callum1originalll.jpg

Unless he was crawling on the tree, you should have shot this vertically. Too much unused space. Colors, exposure etc is fine, just that orientation bothers me.

I don't mind the pose, but his right eye isn't in focus, looks like it may be movement, guessing a slow shutter speed. Tighter crop, like the one The_Traveler did. Photo is a litlle flat as well.

It is a reasonably exposed and focus shot but why have you cropped it so that he is in the middle?
Crop it back to 4 x 6 and get him off the center and remove much of that useless space behind him.

I agree. The crop makes it better.

I agree. The crop makes it better.
But the crop was limited somewhat by the original horizontal framing.

The image would have been stronger had the original been made with a vertical framing.

boon, so you're saying, that if this was shot vertically, you wouldn't be able to tell he's on the tree? I thought trees are vertical too and we would see the boy better that way. But when it's framed like this, he just chopped boy's hand off. Both hands to be precise.

boon, so you're saying, that if this was shot vertically, you wouldn't be able to tell he's on the tree? I thought trees are vertical too and we would see the boy better that way. But when it's framed like this, he just chopped boy's hand off. Both hands to be precise.

I did not say anything about shooting vertically.

I don't believe it is "useless space behind him". Of course you can tell he is in a tree in any framing of the photo... I was expressing that I liked what the extra background gave the image, more depth. I'm sorry if you disagree with my opinion.

The colors seem very flat in this picture... were you planning on working with the color in post, or is this the final product?

Most reactions

Back