My Girlfriends first time shooting.

BanditPhotographyNW

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My girlfriend and I walked around downtown Portland yesterday and I let her use my D7100 and 35mm 1.8. This was her first time using a DSLR or anything other than her cell for that matter lol. These were her favs and I edited them a little for her. She just wants to see what people who are not her loving boyfriend thinks. So have at her lol. I think she did quite well for a first time with a real camera.

Well I'd definitely say #1 is by far the best. I think she has a good eye!

Looks like you're going to have some competition for who gets to take the camera out! Guess you're just going to have to buy her one now... I would agree, she seems to have a good eye! I too like #1. I wish the focus was more on the flower just to the right of the branch. It seems like the focus hit a tab behind it. Otherwise it's just a very pleasing composition. I also like #3. My only thought would be that I wish it had a little more DOF, so maybe the spigot was all or mostly in focus, but otherwise it's a nice shot!

#1 missed the focus, otherwise it's a great shot with the back-lighting and colors.

#2 is uninteresting, cropped a bit too tightly, and the highlights are really blown out.

#3 would have been deleted off my PC if I took it. The DOF is too narrow, the only thing in focus--the subject--is just some water droplets. I see the intent behind the shot, but as is, it's a miss.

#1 lacks a clearly defined subject. I understand the intent, but to me it probably should be just the blossoms.
#2 framed a little too tightly, but with the cluttered background, I guess that is what had to be done. Perhaps a slightly different vantage point would help.
#3 She tried to get both fountains, but missed them both. I like the closeup, but the composition of just one would be off in that case.

Now you put these remarks in "boyfriend-speak" and help her along gently.

Yes, keep the girlfriend

She'll get better with your tuteladge .. or the other way around depending what were talking about.

:)

Thanks everyone for the responses. The DOF problems were my fault, I thought I had set it to auto mode but it was set to shutter priority and she had no idea how to adjust the aperture and such. So I failed her there. lol. Next time I will be more on top of giving her guidance.

The fact that your girlfriend even picked up your camera and wanted to shoot with it makes her a winner in my book! Keep her and teach her!

Most reactions

Back