My HardWare Choices! What Do You THINK?

SIDIOUS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am just curious as to watch you veteran photographers in the digital era think of my choices, these are a result of research, and advice from forums.

My goal is the best images plain and simple, I know lenses are most important, and camera second.

These are what I have chosen as my overall lens collection for the next decade.

Canon 70D, Standard Lenses, for every day photography, EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 40mm f2.8

Wide Zoom lens, for high quality Landscapes EF 8-15mm

TelePhoto Zoom Lens, for Wild Life and OutDoor Sports, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM

First I am aware of the full equivalent Field of View of given focal lengths on crop cameras.

The standard Lenses, Camera and a flash are the first things I intend to buy, the other 2 lenses when I make the needed money!

What do you think? advise me and/or ask questions

Last edited:
First if you want best pictures then forget the 70D and go with the Canon 5D III, add to that good glass and your the king of the hill.

Oh and of course there is Nikon to consider like the D800E

If you are planning on keeping this for a long time i would definitely consider the 17-55 f2.8 over the 15-85. It's a much faster lens with a constant aperture. That lens stayed on my crop camera all of the time before I went full frame.

Have you ever owned/shot a DSLR before? If not, I would suggest not buying 18 lenses right off the bat.

Instead, get one reasonably wide range zoom (like the 18-135 STM for instance) only at first. Then go shoot with it for a couple of months, and see where you find yourself feeling most limited by it. If you find yourself wanting even wider focal lengths, then you know that you might want 10-20mm or fisheyes or whatever. If you find yourself always wishing you could zoom further in, then you will know that you might want to invest in a 70-200 2.8 or 4.0 or whatever, or a 150-500 sigma or something. If you find yourself limited by ISO / darkness performance, then you may save up and buy more moderately priced lenses with an eye toward a full frame body in the future, or wider apertures or both. If you find that you are okay with the focal lengths but want narrower depth of field, then you might want a mid range prime like a 50 1.8 or a 85 1.8 or whatever. And so on.

I forgot to mention Gavjenks, that its one camera and the EFS 15-85mm and a EF 40mm I want to buy first, that appears to be a good range, I have used cameras, not DSLRs, I am thinking of buying a used 30D for $200 USD if I can save to buy that and the lens before my brother comes from the states for Christmas so I dont have to pay VAT & DUTY.

Why the 30D when I said 70D, because its cheap and good enough, to do experiments with, while I save to buy more lenses and the 70D.

Most reactions

Back