My HD Contundrum for me and my wonderful photo-editing iMac

austriker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dlindahlphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Didnt think there was a better place for a post like this, sorry mods if I misplaced this..

Here is my particular dilemna..

I currently have a 24" iMac with ~650 GB internal and a lacie desktop 500gb non-portable HD. I am a photographer (to state the obvious) and thus (again obvious, sorry!) have lots of photos to back and videos/tv shows (probably not that obvious). Thus right now the lacie drive is full of that sort of stuff but I would like to use it time machine (backup) my imac. I used to have a WD portable mybook and it died, well the connector died, which seems to be a common issue. Thus I after countless hours of frustration I will not buy more WD.

So I am looking for a portable drive so I can bring my photos/videos with me on the go (on my old macbook). Preferably about 1-1.5 TB and one thing I would very much like is to have it firewire 800 compatible for my imac. And the more reliable the better, but also cheap is good (haha to make it hard).. With this new HD I can then free up the external HD I have now for backups (I am nervous not having a backup of my files on the imac which currently include many photos; thus I am hoping to decide soon-ish)

here's what I am leaning towards
[h=1]Option 1: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5 TB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive in Black [/h]
OR

[h=1]Option 2: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB FireWire 800 USB 2.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive for Mac [/h]
Option 1 seems the slightly cheaper version, where I would buy the adaptor for FW 800 and option 2 seems like a slighter higher quality that includes a fw 800 cable.

I would want the 1.5 TB size-wise.

Thoughts? Opinions on these drives or a different better one for muah? Thanks in advance!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back