My HDR effect

crumble

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just thought i'd share a few random pics from the net with a HDR Effect I created added to them with the pics before and after the effect. I think its quite similar to the dave hill effect but anyway let me know what u think....sorry about the alignment of everything but for some reason on here I press enter to go down a line and it won't do anything but anyway....

>>>>> Photos Deleted per forum FAQs. <<<<<

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these pictures ones that you have taken yourself?? You said Random taken from the NET, So I am a little confused?

What method have you used? Are these HDR or is it an after effect added to give the impression of HDR?

SUNR15E

Last edited:
It's not HDR with a single exposure. It's as simple as that.

The scenes in these images have a low dynamic range (low contrast between shadows and highlights) that can be captured easily in a single exposure, so they wouldn't benefit from HDR techniques anyway. What you have done to the images could be described as tonemapping, which is partly what gives HDR images that "HDR look". But it's important to note that tonemapping is not HDR.

Should not post photos that are not taken by you.

Looks like its a simple push of the contrast, fill light, and recovery sliders in lightroom. The final result doesn't work for me. Makes the young models look older more "tired".

Should not post photos that are not taken by you.
That would have been my next point....I understand the desire to play with effects. But take pics yourself and use them rather than use images you have not got the rights to use.

It's not HDR with a single exposure. It's as simple as that.
Yep fully agree but I was inquiring if they were genuine multi-shot or if they were an affect designed to mimic HDR.

The original images are much better than their altered counterparts.
Yes they are obviously they were not worth messing with.

SUNR15E

Damn u guys sure know how to rip the **** out of the attempt I've made! I have used random pics from the net that I am allowed to use, I meant its an effect I made using filters to make a kinda pseudo hdr effect not a proper hdr image. It doesn't look so good on these examples but it works great on things like movie promos, which unfortunately I can't post here and wouldn't want to now anyway..

crumble said:
Damn u guys sure know how to rip the **** out of the attempt I've made! I have used random pics from the net that I am allowed to use, I meant its an effect I made using filters to make a kinda pseudo hdr effect not a proper hdr image. It doesn't look so good on these examples but it works great on things like movie promos, which unfortunately I can't post here and wouldn't want to now anyway..

If you agree the effect doesnt look so good on the examples you posted, why are you upset we said they weren't as good as the originals? Also, you can get a HDR type effect on a single image by using tonemaping with a program like pbotomatix.

I said they don't look as good, but as shambolic as you were making out.

crumble said:
I said they don't look as good, but as shambolic as you were making out.

I just thought the originals were better. I personally didn't think the effects were an improvement on the originals. If you think those effects are better suited for other types of pictures, then it would make more sense to post those types than types that do not benefit from your processing. You are looking for feedback on a photography forum, and then getting mad when you dont get the response you want. The forum is about feedback and learning, and if you are looking for fluffy feedback, you are in the wrong place. This is definitely a tell it like it is community.

>>>>> Photos Deleted per forum FAQs. <<<<<

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer for you to say something like this looks bad because and state what it is so it can be put right, instead of saying this is **** the originals are better, even if they are say why and help someone to get better at it.

I think your processing works much better on landscape pictures than with people. It is not flattering on skin tones. I like the beach scene. You can see more contrast with the shadows and the clouds. It just darkens up people too much.

I like the landscape image. The images with people have a tin man, cold, starting to turn zombie like look to me.

Just my opinion though.

crumble said:
I would prefer for you to say something like this looks bad because and state what it is so it can be put right, instead of saying this is **** the originals are better, even if they are say why and help someone to get better at it.

Its hard to tell you how to fix something when we dont know what program you used to do it. Or what effects in that program, and to what degree. For images with people... Dont do whatever it is you did to make the skin tones look grey and ashy. For landscape it looks fine, but i personally wouldn't go any darker.

Most reactions

Back