Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
Yes finally my Holga arrived. I have been lucky enough to receive a piece of crap plastic that somehow manages to take photos. :lovey: I think I'm in Love. :heart: :lovey: :heart:

So first thing I did when I got it was rip it open and stick a roll of 35mm in after sticking a few rubber bands on the inside to hold the film on the roll. Taped the thing up like crazy (Why the hell do they have a big window on the back?!) Quickly ran around town snapping shots and got it developped. Despite a few light leaks, they couldn't print the film! I never realised that you actually need those little numbers and bar code things on the edges of the film to print photos! ARGH Frustrating. because I don't have a scanner either.

So for the second roll of film, I modified the Holga again by taping up the inside this time so that it wouldn't expose those number/barcode things on the edges of the negative. And got it develloped. YAY! I have real photos! Ok so they really really really suck but this is the first time I've developped photos in years!

The focusing on this thing is absolutely shocking! I end up with a splodge in the middle-right hand corner that's actually in focus and really sharp, but the rest is all blurry and gets shocking towards the bottom left corner! maybe it's because the film was a little loose in the camera?

Also I always forget to wind the film on, so I have a few funny double and even triple exposed shots!
I'll try and borrow a scanner off someone and put up my first attempts so you can all laugh at me. he he Jks. :wink:

Try a roll of 120. It's made for the Holga, as Orie says. You won't have any problem with printing the negs when you're using that size. ;)

The focusing on this thing is absolutely shocking! I end up with a splodge in the middle-right hand corner that's actually in focus and really sharp, but the rest is all blurry and gets shocking towards the bottom left corner! maybe it's because the film was a little loose in the camera?

No...the Holga DID originate in China as a toy, you know. There wasn't much thought behind that plastic lens! Your sweet spot will always be pretty much dead center, and the natural fall-off can look pretty cool, depending on your subject matter. Have fun!

terri said:
... Your sweet spot will always be pretty much dead center, and the natural fall-off can look pretty cool, depending on your subject matter. Have fun!

Ahh yeah it is dead center. I compared it to the negs. But because the negative is wider than they could print, they printed it off centre.

I can see I'm gonna have fun with this.

Ohhh. there's backing paper on the 120 film? So I should be pretty save from light then. Ah well I'll still keep it taped up even with 120 film. I'm too scared to put that film in though until I've got used to the camera. It's so expensive to develop.

Meysha said:
they couldn't print the film! I never realised that you actually need those little numbers and bar code things on the edges of the film to print photos!

I'm too scared to put that film in though until I've got used to the camera. It's so expensive to develop.

You need a new lab.

Only machines need those codes. A human operator that has had basic training shouldn't have any problem.

The labs I use charge about $1 more to develop 120 size film.

Ohhh. there's backing paper on the 120 film? So I should be pretty save from light then. Ah well I'll still keep it taped up even with 120 film.
Definitely keep the tape on the back. Avoiding light leaks is only one main reason to tape a Holga back. The other is to the keep the back from falling off at an inopportune moment. :mrgreen:

And go ahead and pick up a roll of 120. It fits perfectly, so it will be easier to load. And you'll love your negatives!

ksmattfish said:
You need a new lab.

Only machines need those codes. A human operator that has had basic training shouldn't have any problem.

The labs I use charge about $1 more to develop 120 size film.

I am Shocked! :shocked: I thought I was at the best photography shop in this city, but now I know they're just lazy.
We also have a big Kodak shop and lab here, but they're outrageously expensive. 20 Euros to develop and print a roll of 36photos 35mm!!! Now I remember why everyone is going digital.

Thanks for your help everyone!

I had the same problem trying to find a developer here in the UK - I've found several but they're all pretty pricey. Can't wait to see what you've got out of your Holga!

Most reactions

Back