My hopefully memorable website and work

coffeefilter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just looking for a little critique, some ideas about what I can do to make it better, what does and doesn't belong, etc.

Mainly, I'm using this as a portfolio simply to show what I've done. It's very basic, as I usually lean toward minimalistic design. It's also categorized for easy navigation.

So, what do you think?
Matt Ragan Photography

Right away, your avatar next to your name doesn't load for me.

I've also never really been a fan of SmugMug. Personal preference.

I just don't feel it's as easy to navigate for the user as it could be. Too much clicking around to get to what you want. :lol:

JMHO. ::shrugs::

Your watermarks are little heavy-handed for me. Very distracting.

The first thing that really stood out was the left side orientation. I don't like how there is nothing on the right

I like your work! I shoot a fair bit of climbing too. My advice would be to narrow it down. It's very hard to navigate and people looking at your website want quick, easy access to your best content. They don't need every image from a shoot, buried deep in sub-folders. I would recommend taking a selection of your very best images from each category and displaying them all in one, easy to navigate page, or at the very least, choose the very best in each category. There's just too much content.

Anything important should be right there in your face, and anything else must be available with a maximum or two or three clicks.

You have waaaaay toooo many pictures that look very much alike.
The not-so-good ones dilute the impact of the very good ones.

I left within 30 seconds, sorry :(

Some nice stuff, but like Lew said too many pictures that look alike. I also use Smugmug and think its great. Smugmug offer all sorts of customizing options. You need to check some of your Gallery setting to make sure all your pictures are right-click protected.

I spent about 15 seconds. I had to click way to many times to get into the "fire" gallery and actually see all of the pictures. While we are talking about that gallery... your cover photo should be the best, and its really the softest of the 4.

Nothing about the cover photo for the "flower" gallery even made me want to open it. If that was your strongest image then I'd say you need to nix flowers from your portfolio until you come up with something more interesting.

I'm doing a photo culling and reworking my watermark.

Also, to fix the clicking problem, would you all recommend placing galleries on the front page, and no folders?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back