My lens is dim

jleampark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. I have a Nikon D5000 and last April, I bought a Nikon DX SWM VR 55-200 lens from Adorama. For a while, it was the only lens I used. But, recently, all the pictures I take with it -- even in bright sunlight -- are dim.

My pictures are fine with the lens that came with the camera (AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm) but I don't know what's wrong when I put on the longer lens.

Has anyone run into a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any and all help you can provide,

Joe

What mode are you shooting in? Also, which metering mode (spot, center weighted, matrix...) are you using?

What mode are you shooting in? Also, which metering mode (spot, center weighted, matrix...) are you using?

I just tried in Auto. My regular lens worked fine but my 55-200 wouldn't even focus; I could barely see through the viewfinder.

And, excuse the noob question: where do I find the metering mode? I know I've seen it before but I can't find the menu option now....

Thanks!

When I first got my camera I had set exposure compensation to like -3 or something in Av (A mode for Nikon - aperture priority). I was wondering why all of my shots were coming out dark.. It took me a while until I figured out what was wrong.

Sounds like you might have a similar issue?

I just tried in Auto. My regular lens worked fine but my 55-200 wouldn't even focus; I could barely see through the viewfinder.

^ THAT sounds like stuck aperture blades in the lens.

You're lens cap is still on.

Im gonna have to agree that the Aperture blades are stuck somehow. Don't know how you would fix something like that but your best bet is taking it in to a Camera shop to fix it if its not too expensive.

That's kinda what I'm thinking.Don't know what Nikon's warranty is, but if you got it last April, assuming new, you've still got at least a month. I'd send it in.

Would there be a way to reset ALL of the options -- back to factory settings? Maybe I messed with something in the menu and can't find it now?

I just tried took a picture (inside the house) with my regular lens. It took fine. I then tried the same shot with the 55-200. The viewfinder is dim, the auto focus whirred in and out a little bit and, no matter how long I held in the button, the camera would not take the picture.

Does that sound like a stuck aperture blade?

Last edited:
If it works with your other lens then it wouldn't be something that you set in your camera. And good luck finding your lens cap, it's always in the last place you look... Because you found it and there's no need to continue looking.

Yea thats exactly what that sounds like. You might be able to free it up by opening and closing it a few times, but I wouldn't do anything more than that yourself. It might be necessary to send it in to a repair shop.

If it's stuck aperture blades, you would be able to see it.

Take the lens off of the camera. Can you see the blades?
(I'm assuming that Nikon is the same as Canon, in that the aperture will be wide open when the lens is unmounted...)

If it's stuck aperture blades, you would be able to see it.

Take the lens off of the camera. Can you see the blades?
(I'm assuming that Nikon is the same as Canon, in that the aperture will be wide open when the lens is unmounted...)

Nope. Nikon lenses go closed when dismounted. There's a chance they would close all the way down to f/22 or f/32 or whatever when unmounted and only open up to f/9 when they make electrical contact.. or maybe they're not opening at all. Could try cleaning the lens contacts, maybe tap it gently a few times.. but I wouldn't do anything more severe than that.

Most reactions

Back