My lightning story (and pic)

Nagala

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So we're sitting there, fairly late one night and finishing up the front page. Everyone's winding down and ready to go home after a final proof when a storm that I had been eyeballing comes rushing in. We already had shots of an antique car show on the square just down the street on the front, but when I saw lightning, I figured I'd at least give it a try. All my other attempts at a decent lightning shot have been bunk. Either good strike with nothing else in the frame or a good foreground and a bad spark.
So I grabbed the D1x and ran out the door and up the hill with my tripod. Lightning was hitting all around me but I told myself I was either going to get hit by a bolt or a good picture, whichever came first. As soon as I saw this strike, I knew I had it. It turned out it wasn't a moment too soon because it wasn't 5 seconds (and I mean that with all seriousness) that the bottom fell out and quarter-inch hail pounded me as I slid back down the hill and ran back into the newsroom. "I got one," I said.
Yeah, I'd say I got one. Thanks for reading. Hope you like.

Dsc_00402.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sweet. Awesome :)

Incredible!
I'm so envious...we rarely get any lightning around here.
So what was the exposure etc. you were using?

Thanks everyone. This one is actually one of my all-time favorites.
mrsid99: Since I had never used a D1x, I just went aperture priority at f/22, which opened up for 10 seconds. If you need another glimpse at how close I was, this was shot at 105mm, and barely any cropping was done for the final image.

Most reactions

Back