My moon pic=poopy

putrescent82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was out 2 nights ago shooting the blue moon and even though it was clear I could not get a nice crisp shot. Here what I was shooting with below. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tripod
UV filter
D3100
55-300 VR Nikon
Manual Mode

1/1600 f11 ISO 3200

1/640 f11 ISO 3200

Lower the ISO 3200 to about ISO 200, the f/11 to f/8 and the shutter speed to 1/125. You're never going to get clear shots at ISO 3200 with a D3100 plus it's underexposed.

^ what he said.

What a LOT of people don't realize is that the moon is actually STUPIDLY bright. Like "hand-held shot with a 200mm lens" bright.

Camera's will tend to get kinda wonky with metering though, because the object is bright and the sky is black, so you probably also want to shoot manual, and I would recommend you still use a tripod. Just be prepared to move a lot, because the moon moves quick.

If you have a VR lens be sure to turn off the VR when you put it on the tripod.

Good luck!

I get $2000?!?!

@$)%@#()%$# SWEET!

What a LOT of people don't realize is that the moon is actually STUPIDLY bright. Like "hand-held shot with a 200mm lens" bright.
The moon is just a rock that is in direct sunlight. Pretty much the same as any grey rock sitting in your yard, under midday sunlight.

For best results, use a tripod (mirror lock up, remote or timer, turn off VR etc.) Lose the UV filter.

The moon is just a rock that is in direct sunlight. Pretty much the same as any grey rock sitting in your yard, under midday sunlight.

For best results, use a tripod (mirror lock up, remote or timer, turn off VR etc.) Lose the UV filter.

You mentioned to lose the UV filter why?

Lower the ISO 3200 to about ISO 200, the f/11 to f/8 and the shutter speed to 1/125. You're never going to get clear shots at ISO 3200 with a D3100 plus it's underexposed.

Thank you for your advice I will try out those settings.

Me shooting in RAW affect the quality?

Me shooting in RAW affect the quality?

On the contrary, everyone here will encourage it! You have much more control over the final product, and it affords you flexibility in post process, specifically in the realm of exposure.

It is just another layer that the light has to pass through to potentially introduce imperfections/fuzziness. UV filters are useless for your purpose for two reasons:
1, there is no UV light to speak of in the atmosphere at night,
2, modern digital cameras aren't affected by UV light anyway.

It is just another layer that the light has to pass through to potentially introduce imperfections/fuzziness. UV filters are useless for your purpose for two reasons:
1, there is no UV light to speak of in the atmosphere at night,
2, modern digital cameras aren't affected by UV light anyway.

That is true I just forgot to remove it plus it helps keep the lens from getting scratched.

That is true I just forgot to remove it plus it helps keep the lens from getting scratched.
Are you walking through a thicket to get your position for shooting the moon? Then you would be better off to keep the lens cap on until you reach your destination. Once there, mount the lens hood and use common sense care. The coating on modern lenses is very hard and small scratches will unlikely cause any apparent loss of IQ. If you're bound and determined to have a "protective" lens filter mounted, get good one made of clear glass. I have a fairly significant lens ($$$$) collection and do not use "protective" lens filters.

Are you walking through a thicket to get your position for shooting the moon? Then you would be better off to keep the lens cap on until you reach your destination. Once there, mount the lens hood and use common sense care. The coating on modern lenses is very hard and small scratches will unlikely cause any apparent loss of IQ. If you're bound and determined to have a "protective" lens filter mounted, get good one made of clear glass. I have a fairly significant lens ($$$$) collection and do not use "protective" lens filters.

This. Any UV filter that is cheap enough that you don't mind it getting scratched instead of your lens is probably made of plastic or cheap glass and will likely cause distortions on your images. It is one of the most-repeated sales gimmicks out there that people need a UV filter to protect their lens. That's what a lens cap is for. Lenses themselves are actually very unlikely to get scratched under normal use; anything hard enough to damage your lens will probably go through the UV filter anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back