sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Most moms want flowers, chocolates, maybe some jewelry, or a nice dinner out. But really, short of time with my boys (which I didn't get on Mother's Day weekend at all...long story...but I did at least have dinner with one of them on Monday!), I can't think of anything I'd rather have gotten for Mother's Day than these hawk photos (except maybe even better hawk photos :lmao: ).

Through the past year, I've gotten some reasonably decent pictures of different birds, including an Eagle and Ospreys. But somehow, even though they are quite common around here, the hawks also seemed to elude me. They were either too high up, or too hidden, or flew off with their back toward me...or I just missed the shot.

This past Saturday, I went to a place nearby that had been recommended by a birder I met at one of the refuges I go to. It turned out to be an awesome place for birds, just as he'd said, but what he hadn't mentioned is that hawks seem to love the place! Both times I've gone, I've seen some great aerial battles between hawks and crows, as well as hawks and other hawks. The first time, the really good shots still eluded me.

This time, though, I had the new lens with me. Yeah...I think I like this lens. :D

1. Pursued by a Crow:

2. Attacked by a Mockingbird:

3. Mid-Air Assault by Another Hawk: (this is all the SAME poor hawk, getting attacked by everything that moved! I *think* the second hawk is a red-shouldered? Maybe?)

5. My favorite:

6. Started getting attacked by crows again while sitting on the pole. Another case of 500mm being too much, and so I missed getting him completely in the frame:

I also had a pretty good day as far as other birds, but I'll save that for another thread (or two).

As always--not only are C&C, general comments and witty banter encouraged, I'm downright beggin' you for 'em! :D

Oh, and here's a "bonus" Attack shot. Different hawk, different place but I like it because it's the first time I've seen one attacked by a RWB:

This reminds me of the Shuttle Discovery landing on earth with a T-38 chase plane by its side. Very cool...

Wow! Nice! You received a hawk for Mother's Day? My wife just got a silly card and some flowers. :lol:

Well done! I love the one on the poll also. His ruffled feathers are so cute.

Wow! You caught some great photos Sharon! I really like number 1. I'm like how crisp the red tails eye is. I also like numbers 5 and 6(even though the tips of the wings are clipped)

Good idea for mother day :) but not only for it ..what about valentine day gift :p

Any way your shots are really great

Oh, and here's a "bonus" Attack shot. Different hawk, different place but I like it because it's the first time I've seen one attacked by a RWB:

This reminds me of the Shuttle Discovery landing on earth with a T-38 chase plane by its side. Very cool...

Lol, it kinda does, doesn't it? :lmao:

Wow! Nice! You received a hawk for Mother's Day? My wife just got a silly card and some flowers. :lol:

Your poor wife. :lmao: None of that silly card & flower nonsense for me! Maybe for my birthday I'll get some owls or something. :D

Great shooting Sharon. Like the one on the pole also

#5 is too my favorite!!

As they seem to be my nemesis, I like the bifs, especially the last one.

Most reactions

Back