My new BIG photoprop......and all of my littles in ONE pic.......

CorrieMichael

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well they are all here! The Photo Forum ~ meet the Bakker clan ~ plus our new "Sally" :) I am hoping to use this in some upcoming senior portfolio building sessions! C&C always welcome! :)
$IMG_6044lighthonecombpopstarearthymattevignlogo.jpg

fun! i keep talking myself out of buying big props as we have nowhere to keep them really. lol we need to request a garage the next time we move! ;)

I think you may need to calibrate your lens. You missed the focus here again.

what would make the lens be un-calibrated? For instance why would this happen.....also forgive my ignorance if you are being sarcastic.......

although I have to say this is one of my issues that I do have.....missing focus.....not sure if that is because of my shooting wide open concept or not.....but

although I have to say this is one of my issues that I do have.....missing focus.....not sure if that is because of my shooting wide open concept or not.....but

Shooting wide open has a lot to do with it.

what would make the lens be un-calibrated? For instance why would this happen.....also forgive my ignorance if you are being sarcastic.......

It's not that it is uncalibrated per se. I can't give you the science behind it, but some lenses are a little "off" and need to be adjusted in camera.

It is and it isn't. You are far enough away where there is more DOF wide open, but you still need to nail the focus at 1.4. If you stopped down to say... 2.8, you would have everyone in focus most likely. But, it would be a different image all together. However, even stopping down, having the focus on point is important.

Shooting wide open isn't a concept, it's been around for a long time! ;) Bear in mind that simply because you have a lens that allows you to shoot at 1.2, 1.4 or 1.8 doesn't mean you should. Guesstimating your distance, I'd say your DoF was in the order of 8-10"; NOT a lot of wiggle room, especially if you shifted focus slightly at some point during the composition. Using f4 would have given you an almost 2' DoF and still kept your far distance at less than 12' ensuring a nicely OOF background. Sometimes there is such a thing as too much of a good thing! ;)

I downloaded a DoF app for my phone...it's a great tool. After playing with it and seeing the difference between 1.4 and 2.8 in inches, it made me realize I can achieve the same kind of photo without missing focus on the important parts. 1.4 is not very forgiving :)

We see a lot of missed focus with the "Shoot Wide Open" types... DOF is so shallow, it is easy to miss more often then not. And even if you nail focus perfectly, it will still never be as sharp as a the same lens stopped down two stops... just the way lenses work!

Great prop and what a cute bunch. Looks like they are on a sofacoaster with those faces.

I'm not really seeing missed focus. If I squint, it's credible but not certain that it's focused on the back of the couch rather than the kiddies eyes. The faces are pretty bright, and the lens is pretty soft, so it's hard to tell.

It's a cute picture, overall. I quite like it.

The couch DOES tend to dominate, especially those big ornate wooden decorations on the back in the center. I don't have a good solution for that. Maybe dress the kids in brighter colors?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back