My new camera is on the way! Now I need a camera bag...

noobtophoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally decided to order the Canon T3i as it had a very good deal on web...too good to pass on...

This is what I will be getting in the mail:
Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital Camera (Body Only)
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Autofocus Lens
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens for Digital SLR Cameras

I came across Domke F-3X Super Compact RuggedWear Shoulder Bag. (Domke F-3X Super Compact RuggedWear Shoulder Bag 700-30A B&H)

I want to see if this is a good choice for my equipment and if anyone has any other suggestions on brand/bags...I appreciate it.

Thanks!

Really depends what you want to do. I have three, for different reasons.

P1010062_zpscd6b77bf.jpg

For grab and go, minimum equipment, I use an old Vivitar hard body that has a belt strap.

P1010061_zpsdc2ad42d.jpg

My medium bag is a Kiwi bag, can hold multiple bodies and lenses. Handle and over the shoulder only.

P1010063_zps74ea5dd3.jpg

For when I need gear and I have no idea what's coming, this Tamrac Expidition 8.

I like the one you have chosen. It should have room for extras as you acquire them as well.
Make sure to order or stop by a craft shop and pick up some Silica Gel. You can put it in the little mesh bags that they have for wedding favors. I always keep a couple in each of my gear bags/tote.

Agreed with Gromit, depends on what you need it for. My current favorite is the Kata LighTri 317pl (http://www.kata-bags.us/lightri-317-pl-for-pro-dslr-w-70-200mm-lens-2-lenses). I use it for my favorite combo when going out to shoot (D800E with the battery pack and the 70-200mm mounted on it + either another lens, or a flash, depending on what I'm shooting. Considering the equipment you listed, you can probably go with a smaller bag from that family. The split shoulder strap makes a huge different in the load distribution. My shoulders ache in sympathy looking at his last bag recommendation. When I need to carry that much gear I use the lowepro pro trekker aw400 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lowepro+pro+trekker+400+aw&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta)

Sent from my stone tablet using semaphores

I've got a couple of Domke bags and love 'em. You may or may not end up liking the ruggedwear because they are waxed... just something to think about.

thanks for all the feedback....the silica gel is a good tips too...

yeah I probably want something a little bit on the lighter side/smaller bag as I will be traveling abroad soon...so I don't want to carry a tons load of stuff.
I figured if I get more equipment in the near future, I can upgrade my bag to accommodate that size.

I support Crumpler. It's mainly because they have all kinds of crazy colors besides black. I have a camo neck strap from them so people can't see that I'm actually wearing a neck strap. I'm going to be purchasing their Canon neck strap too. They're ultra comfy.

thanks for all the feedback....the silica gel is a good tips too...

yeah I probably want something a little bit on the lighter side/smaller bag as I will be traveling abroad soon...so I don't want to carry a tons load of stuff.
I figured if I get more equipment in the near future, I can upgrade my bag to accommodate that size.
I have a camera case and then I have a bag. My bag is actually a large laptop briefcase type bag that I have put an insert in. I needed it to be a certain size and to carry just what I needed for shooting. I have one shoulder that is shot and I can't hack the weight around my neck or on my shoulders, so I simply made what I needed. It cost me about $50 as opposed to a shoot sac or similar that is a lot more than $50. For "hiking" or walking, weddings, portraits and I guess shooting in general I use the laptop bag for the immediate grab stuff.
For traveling with my gear I have a rolling camera bag (similar to this)that is the appropriate size for a carry on suitcase. In it goes my bodies, lenses and flashes and flash tubes for my strobes. The unnecessary stuff can go in luggage, but the critical stuff never leaves my possession.

For weddings and on-location work I have a rolling tool chest type thing that acts as a ladder, stool, seat AND a gear tote that carries everything including a couple of strobes in it. That has handles that a lock can be put through and gets sent with checked baggage when I fly. It is probably the single most handy thing I have ever gotten. It's a dream to have on location as well as to store much of my gear in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back