My new favorite bird in the non-raptor category

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wow, Great Crested Fly Catchers are bad ass if you happen to be a bug. I found a very accessible nest so I had some fun.. As always comments welcome...

1 - 100% Crop... Poor Grasshopper

Flycatcher VS Grasshopper Portrait by krisinct, on Flickr

2 Full-ish view

Great Crested Flycatcher - grasshopper by krisinct, on Flickr

Great Crested Flycatcher -big fly by krisinct, on Flickr

Great Crested Flycatcher - bug by krisinct, on Flickr

5 - The Nest

Great Crested Fly Catcher - nest by krisinct, on Flickr

Love the crop on the first shot Kris! NICE!

Awesome series Kris. Always a pleasure to see your photos.Love them all but 1 and 2 are priceless.

Beautiful images, Chris. Sharp!

Really good set ! Clean Back grounds and sharp focus .On #5 ,I think the nest could be enhanced in post and In my opinion be the best of them all!

Love the crop on the first shot Kris! NICE!

Awesome series Kris. Always a pleasure to see your photos.Love them all but 1 and 2 are priceless.

Beautiful images, Chris. Sharp!

Thank you all kindly! #1 got explored! pretty happy about that. If anyone wants to mark it a fave on flickr and help me climb the ladder feel free :)

Really good set ! Clean Back grounds and sharp focus .On #5 ,I think the nest could be enhanced in post and In my opinion be the best of them all!
I will probably re-shoot it. I know where this guy lives and would probably be pretty sweet at sunset. The light will be perfect in this spot. The light was pretty funky today...

Gave you a hit on flicker Kris and comment.

Coastalconn ,Please help this ,thick headed ,,old man to understand your thought patterns . You have a great set of photographs already . They look to me as if you were "Spot" metering on the eyes. That allowed the exposure for the lighter parts to be a touch over . Why not mask off the subject and lower the exposure for the rest? Now, I would Be all for a return visit ,too .These WOULD be over the top with early morning light . Just, why not make what you have already the best they can be ?
I don't mean this to sound like I'm picking on you,(I have this same question for many on this site ) However ,I've been around this place long enough to know YOU wear Big-Boy pants and can easily handle a few Questions.

very nice, some amazing lighting in #3

Love the set. #1 is a great crop indeed, and #5 also works for me.

Kevin

Thank you everyone for your like and comments on flickr!

Coastalconn ,Please help this ,thick headed ,,old man to understand your thought patterns . You have a great set of photographs already . They look to me as if you were "Spot" metering on the eyes. That allowed the exposure for the lighter parts to be a touch over . Why not mask off the subject and lower the exposure for the rest? Now, I would Be all for a return visit ,too .These WOULD be over the top with early morning light . Just, why not make what you have already the best they can be ?
I don't mean this to sound like I'm picking on you,(I have this same question for many on this site ) However ,I've been around this place long enough to know YOU wear Big-Boy pants and can easily handle a few Questions.
Well, Hopdaddy, we all have very different views on PP. I personally prefer a more natural look to my photos. I've played with masking, but I only like it for background noise reduction. Some of your images end up with very hard lines around the subject and to me it doesn't look natural. In my opinion, my images are the best they can be for my personal taste(and skill level of PP). I do have big boy pants, so I'm not afraid of criticism, but my thoughts are, if you think that many others on this site are doing it wrong, perhaps your tastes for over-processed images just aren't quite the same as ours?

Coastalconn, I Truly offer my opinions with your best interest in mind. If you really believe these photographs are the best they can be ,Then they are the best they ever will be . I am not suggesting to use Fractalius filters or Paint brush filters or even using Skin Smoothing filters on Backgrounds (My "over-processed" images). I'm simply saying, There is so much good going on here ,I feel not taking the extra step in post is a lost. The basic Burn tool used on the wood grain would darken the Bg ,that would make the bird the brighter point advancing it .It would also bring out all the wonderful wood grain and texture lost from the overexposure .(Referring again to photo #5) Of course a flash with a better beamer would do as well .(I'm not sure how far off the bird was so maybe not the bb)I also would evict the eye catching orange" Toad Stool", Top right.
Again I post with the intention to help, not hinder. This thread has nothing to do with my work ,but it is an attempt to show a different view . If this too is rejected ,then I guess I too will just say "Attaboy" "Great job" But that helps, little to none .

Well, I decided to give it a try with what I know.. I have no idea what the burn tool does, I tried it and it just made dark circles.. So this is what I got.. ended up with some funky fringing... I think that is why I'm better off with my original..

The fringing(CA?) IS distracting in the re-post ,But as you may have guessed I like the repost better .The bird being the brightest thing in the photo ,Pulls my eye straight to his eye and keeps it there . The Burn tool darkens ,The Dodge tool lightens .The terms are a hold over from film days ,in the darkroom.

Most reactions

Back