My new Photoshop Machine (mwuahahah...)

Hey, what's it upgradable to? 16gb or 32gb?

Careful what you wish for. :)

You're scoffing at my 4 gigs of server-class overclocked RAM? :)

The machine costs about ~$18K.
Exactly my point. Your whole machine cost that much, you should have more than 4 gigs :p

Exactly my point. Your whole machine cost that much, you should have more than 4 gigs :p

Ah, well the ram that is in there is expensive... I can't recall exactly, but it was either $2k or $4k just for the ram itself. It's ridiculously fast RAM.

might have missed it - but if he is running vista then 4GB is actually more than it can support (3.5GB is its limit or there abouts) for RAM
Unless you go 64bit vista then its unlimited (of course its also far more buggy ;))

IDC how fast is it if you only have 4 gigs, id go 8 minimum for that type of machine :p

I'm sorry, but unless you got some insanely expensive monitors and have an extensive raid array there is no way it costs that much. The only way one could even possibly approach that price is if you go to the store and pick the most expensive everything. I just did that and came just shy of 20k, but the specs would blow yours away, even if it is all next gen technology.

For something in the 18-20k spectrum you should be looking at
2 2.93ghz tigerton intel quad core processors, 32gb of the highest spec sever ram i can find, paired with a 16tb raid array with dedicated raid controller with an additional 5+ 300gb raptors, dual bluray burners, dual $2000 workstation gfx cards, and a $700 motherboard to stick it all together. Then I will give you 2500 for a case and a dual phase change cooling system.

Please tell me that at least 8k of that was put towards accessories and that is only because it is a prototype. Also, those specs about the overclockability are completely unrealistic on a server board. They may be taken from what has been done on a high end gaming rig and they probably cannot be duplicated with most processors. No, it is not rare to have an unlocked multiplier. And no, 4gb of memory did not cost 2-4k, 32gb of high spec server ram costs 2800. considering the fact that there is not even enough space in that case to fit all of those things, I am going to say that the 18k figure is not even close.

IDC how fast is it if you only have 4 gigs, id go 8 minimum for that type of machine :p

I'm sorry, but unless you got some insanely expensive monitors and have an extensive raid array there is no way it costs that much. The only way one could even possibly approach that price is if you go to the store and pick the most expensive everything. I just did that and came just shy of 20k, but the specs would blow yours away, even if it is all next gen technology.

For something in the 18-20k spectrum you should be looking at
2 2.93ghz tigerton intel quad core processors, 32gb of the highest spec sever ram i can find, paired with a 16tb raid array with dedicated raid controller with an additional 5+ 300gb raptors, dual bluray burners, dual $2000 workstation gfx cards, and a $700 motherboard to stick it all together. Then I will give you 2500 for a case and a dual phase change cooling system.

Please tell me that at least 8k of that was put towards accessories and that is only because it is a prototype. Also, those specs about the overclockability are completely unrealistic on a server board. They may be taken from what has been done on a high end gaming rig and they probably cannot be duplicated with most processors. No, it is not rare to have an unlocked multiplier. And no, 4gb of memory did not cost 2-4k, 32gb of high spec server ram costs 2800. considering the fact that there is not even enough space in that case to fit all of those things, I am going to say that the 18k figure is not even close.

You guys are both right.

First off, I'm lying. It's actually a 486/33 and I taped a big Walmart price card to the front and wrote "SUPER FAZT ZZZEEEON COMPOOTOR $18,500!!" on it in red crayon.

It actually doesn't have 4 gigs, it's only running 4 meg. I just like to call it gigs to make myself feel better. I couldn't afford the 8 meg. In fact, I'm running Windows 3.1 and I'm not sure it can even address the 4 meg I have.

I have it overclocked to 66 MHz and smoke is pouring out from the sides like wild. I can barely see. Help! Someone call the fire department!

Thank god you are both here to identify my lies and technical abominations. Obviously I have nothing better to do with my time than to steer the TPF crowd wildly astray with my foolishness.

I'm sure they're all very thankful they have you here to save them.

I know I am!

:thumbup:

if you can show us how your machine is special then it may be easier for us computer illiterate to understand how a machine with the specs you gave can give the power you claim. maybe some benchmarks with comparisons to normal workstations with 32gb of ram since yours is equal in cost or even more expensive (or even just 4gb since it may be hard to track down those supercomputer scores)? maybe some photos of these special pieces like your 2-4k 4gb ram when the most expensive I can currently find is under $500.

I'm very sorry if your machine is some super ground breaking technology, but unless you can provide some sort of empirical data backing up your claims, very few will believe your extreme specs.

Awe... too bad the thread has come to something like this. I loved your post manaheim, and I really appreciated you sharing it with us! Especially as it was a present from your Dad! :thumbup:

I've priced very moderate 4 core BoXX machines at around $15k and HP servers with similar specs at almost twice that. Additionally 4gigs is pretty massive and I've only wished for more a few times in the year I've had the machine. And those were massive 3D scenes with BILLIONS (over 2 billion to be more specific) of textured, shaded, polygons. last point. If I go to the Apple site and configure my machine to it's current spec (but with your xeon procs - mine are 2.66gHz) it comes up with $11,125.000 and Apple is by FAR not the most expensive vendor out there! Like I said HP and BoXX are both right around double so from them it would be right about $20,000.00

if you can show us how your machine is special then it may be easier for us computer illiterate to understand how a machine with the specs you gave can give the power you claim. maybe some benchmarks with comparisons to normal workstations with 32gb of ram since yours is equal in cost or even more expensive (or even just 4gb since it may be hard to track down those supercomputer scores)? maybe some photos of these special pieces like your 2-4k 4gb ram when the most expensive I can currently find is under $500.

I'm very sorry if your machine is some super ground breaking technology, but unless you can provide some sort of empirical data backing up your claims, very few will believe your extreme specs.

:lol:

Dude, I have a way better idea. Let's just have you assume I'm totally lying. It will make you feel better, and I frankly couldn't possibly care what you think anyway.

Win/win!

Sound good?

Awe... too bad the thread has come to something like this. I loved your post manaheim, and I really appreciated you sharing it with us! Especially as it was a present from your Dad! :thumbup:

Yeah, I know. I was thinking the same thing. Some great discussion between Garbz, you, Jerry, etc. too. All good stuff. There's a spoiler in every crowd. :) Sorry about the mess. :)

I've priced very moderate 4 core BoXX machines at around $15k and HP servers with similar specs at almost twice that. Additionally 4gigs is pretty massive and I've only wished for more a few times in the year I've had the machine. And those were massive 3D scenes with BILLIONS (over 2 billion to be more specific) of textured, shaded, polygons. last point. If I go to the Apple site and configure my machine to it's current spec (but with your xeon procs - mine are 2.66gHz) it comes up with $11,125.000 and Apple is by FAR not the most expensive vendor out there! Like I said HP and BoXX are both right around double so from them it would be right about $20,000.00

Actually, I went and re-priced everything. One thing I didn't realize was that the $18K was the pricetag for this box in October when it was built... I came up with about $12K for it now. So, definitely a bit cheaper. Amazing what you pay for bleeding edge... I bet you at least $3K of that difference is in those video cards. They're essentially kinda old now. Vid card market is messed up. :lol:

Yup! And if you go with something like Quadro FX5700 cards you can add $5,000 for the pair if you get them discounted. :D Server grade SAS drives are $600~$700 a pop for 300 GB... etc. etc.

Yup! And if you go with something like Quadro FX5700 cards you can add $5,000 for the pair if you get them discounted. :D Server grade SAS drives are $600~$700 a pop for 300 GB... etc. etc.

Yeah, that makes sense. We need like a deja-Newegg so we can go back in time and check prices. :lol:

Most reactions

Back