My new Photoshop Machine (mwuahahah...)

Nice box! A good example of overkill, lol. BTW, I don't believe you could ever get 5 Ghz out of those procs without liquid N and even then it likely wouldn't be stable. How's the electric bill? :lol:

How's the electric bill? :lol:

I can speak for my electric bill.

No change over a Pentium Pro 100 mHz. with a few cards in it.
Cheaper than or about half of an Amiga 4000 (with Video Toaster and WFM).

Since 1990 or so I've always had my machine(s) each running through an amp meter just in front of the mains. My 8 core mac with 4GB ram, 4 large drives, dual video, buttloads of USB devices, etc. draws about the same as machines from 1990. Actually it's far less when idle and far more when all procs are 100% and the drives are going hard but just browsing the web and editing/displaying images it averages out to about the same as an Amiga or ancient Pentium system with the equivalent components (sound, video, etc.).

Nice box! A good example of overkill, lol. BTW, I don't believe you could ever get 5 Ghz out of those procs without liquid N and even then it likely wouldn't be stable. How's the electric bill? :lol:

It's running 5GHz now, no problem.

The guys at Intel had it up to 6GHz but they had to nitrogen cool it I guess. I'm not doing that. :)

And I just looked... Wow, prices have dropped allot! This was $900 last I looked:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8800gt_for_mac.html

Now it's $279 :D I'm getting me a pair right now! :D

It's reeeeeeeally amazing how volitile that market is. The mere fact that NVidia has held on so long is damned impressive. I remember, back in the day when Diamond was king... they made ONE screwup, and 6 months later... poof.

nvidia has been very successful over the past few years with their release of dx10 cards. it took ati over a year to catch up.

hahaha... just had a memory flash of my old machine with a 3dfx monster card paired to an ATI all in wonder (my comp was also my TV in my dorm).

Waisted good college study time on Quake 1.

:D

I was a Q3a freak. I maintained a ranking of #4 world-wide for a solid month! :D

Tricking is a blast in Quake III Arena!

I missed the first Quake and got started on Quake2, really. I couldn't afford a game machine of any real power when I was in college. <sniff>

I'm sure some people will claim I'm LYING, :lol: but I bought a PII 450 Xeon with dual Diamond Monster II SLIs. (this is back in the time when SLI meant 2 cards = 2x the performance) God that thing was a bear to get working right but MAN it was fast.

I used to run the original Unreal and just let the intro fly-around run for hours. My wife thought I was insane for just staring at it, but MAN it was cool. :lol:

That was the same time I bought my 21" Viewsonic Pro monitor for $1000... that whole machine cost me like $3000. Craaaaaaaazy.

:D

I was a Q3a freak. I maintained a ranking of #4 world-wide for a solid month! :D

Tricking is a blast in Quake III Arena!
Ha, I played Q3 endlessly, and was in a clan (^iX^) that played Q3X. We did well on the PG ladder. Oddly, we all still chat on Team Speak and still play some games, although not competitively, lol. Mostly TF2 and CoD4 MP lately. The new FarCry2 looks promising, although the original Farcrap was a pain- as soon as the armed monkeys came out, that is.

Totally overpriced machine. Not even worth it, what are you going to do with 8 cores? I dont think photoshop can utilize 8 cores, only 4, even then, only on certain tasks...

Ha, I played Q3 endlessly, and was in a clan (^iX^) that played Q3X. We did well on the PG ladder. Oddly, we all still chat on Team Speak and still play some games, although not competitively, lol. Mostly TF2 and CoD4 MP lately. The new FarCry2 looks promising, although the original Farcrap was a pain- as soon as the armed monkeys came out, that is.

Kewl! I dunno that clan. I was in [OFX]. "Old Farts eXtreme". :D

I got my title playing 1v1 insta-gib Freeze Tag tho. Later I came to play ThreeWave and RA3 (Rocket Arena 3) mods a lot.

Team Speak is good. I carried it over from gaming into the developer projects I was involved in. It's worked great!

What's CoD4? The mod name isn't clicking.

Most reactions

Back