My new Ultra light-weight LF cameras

IanG

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lostlabours.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple of weeks ago I returned to the UK and opened two parcels from Germany.

Two Patent Etui's one complete the other described as "Korpus" (Corpse)

What amazing cameras, both take 9x12 cms plates/film & just a touch smaller film size than 5x4 inch but the ultimate competitors.

etui05_sm.jpg

etui01_sm.jpg

In comparison to other 9x12 cameras, an Erneman :)
etui03_sm.jpg

We'll leave the size comparison with a Speed or Crown Graphic for now, but the Graphics are huge :D

These are destined for use, not to be sat on a shelf, i have 5 or 6 9x12 cameras and luckily they all take the same plate/film holders plus I have 120 roll film backs.

The "Korpus" camera was at first glance a corpse, opened with a bottle opener or worse, but a few taps with a hammer it's almost as new !!!!!! Soon it will be fitted with a modern coated lens and a key part of my LF equipment.

Ian

Last edited:
Neat cameras! Congrats!

I've got a fully functional KW Patent Etui and I absolutely love the sleek design on it! I should cut some film for it since I have a few holders.

Congrats on the find!

Ilford, Foma & EFKE still make 9x12 film, which is quite easy to find in Europe. I bought a Combi tank from the Us for procesing, as unlike my Jobo it's adjustable.

Ian

Ilford, Foma & EFKE still make 9x12 film, which is quite easy to find in Europe. I bought a Combi tank from the Us for procesing, as unlike my Jobo it's adjustable.

Ian

Cool! Thanks for the info!:thumbup:

Just to show exactly how small it is in comparison to a 5x4 Crown Graphic :D

The 3rd camera is my Zeiss Ikonta 521

etui06.jpg

etui07.jpg

Now consider that the 9x12cm film size is only slightly smaller, 5x4 is 10.1x12.7cm

Ian

All nice cameras but I especially like the slim line of the "Korpus".

Nice!

Hey IanG,
That is a very, very, cool camera. I want one!
I have a Kodak Recomar 33 with a roll film holder. I wonder if it would fit
the Etui?? All the 9x12 (and 6x9) European folding cameras appear to be from the exact same mold. Dr. Nagel seems to have influenced the entire European camera market with his design. Here's 2 pics of my Recomars. They look just like your Erneman and have similiarities to the Etui except for their size.
recomar1.jpg

recomar2.jpg

Pete, Recomars are great cameras I'd like to get one with a rangefinder at some stage.

A great many 6.5x9 & 0x12 plate cameras from various manufacturers appear fairly similar, some share common parts, Nagel's not one of the first though.

However there are significant differences with the focus mechanism / track bed, folding struts, case etc and in addition there are at least 5 types of plate holders and they aren't interchangeable. There was no agreed standard, although in practice there are two more common types. Zeiss used 3 differing types depending on which company had made the camera pre-merger.

I don't know the edge style of the Nagel Recomar plate holders, are they like these ?
plates1a_sm.jpg
These fit a Patent Etui, as well as my Rodenstock & Orion Werks 9x12's.

Or like these ?
plates3a_sm.jpg

Flat edges. These fit early Linhofs and some Zeiss cameras.

Ian

Hey IanG,
That is a very, very, cool camera. I want one!
I have a Kodak Recomar 33 with a roll film holder. I wonder if it would fit
the Etui?? All the 9x12 (and 6x9) European folding cameras appear to be from the exact same mold. Dr. Nagel seems to have influenced the entire European camera market with his design. Here's 2 pics of my Recomars. They look just like your Erneman and have similiarities to the Etui except for their size.
recomar1.jpg

recomar2.jpg

Nice Reco! I might sell my Etui in the near future, need $ for a Canon L lens. ;)

Pete, Recomars are great cameras I'd like to get one with a rangefinder at some stage.

A great many 6.5x9 & 0x12 plate cameras from various manufacturers appear fairly similar, some share common parts, Nagel's not one of the first though.

However there are significant differences with the focus mechanism / track bed, folding struts, case etc and in addition there are at least 5 types of plate holders and they aren't interchangeable. There was no agreed standard, although in practice there are two more common types. Zeiss used 3 differing types depending on which company had made the camera pre-merger.

I don't know the edge style of the Nagel Recomar plate holders, are they like these ?
plates1a_sm.jpg

Or like these ?
plates3a_sm.jpg

Ian

Ian,
I don't have any plates. but you first set of picks look like the correct ones. Here's a pick of the edge of my roll film holder and the back of the camera. It looks like you thin edged plates would fit.
Thanks for the info.
100_1314copy.jpg

Nice Reco! I might sell my Etui in the near future, need $ for a Canon L lens. ;)

Mitica,
You have some collection on your website. You could probably retire if you sold all of those cameras. Each one you have is a collectable.

Last edited:
Pete, I missed your reply, only found it today because the page was referred to in my site log.

Yes the first plate holders should fit, I recently bought one with an integral film adaptor, the seller said he has a lot more,I need to find his details it was at a camera fair.

Useful to know Recomar's take similar, so Kodak holders fit but I think the US variety are quarter plate not 9x12.

Ian

plates1a_sm.jpg

Or like these ?
plates3a_sm.jpg

Ian

Ian,
I don't have any plates. but you first set of picks look like the correct ones. Here's a pick of the edge of my roll film holder and the back of the camera. It looks like you thin edged plates would fit.
Thanks for the info.
100_1314copy.jpg

Coincidentally, I found this Recomar 33 at a flea market today for $20. Other
than a little cosmetic wear it seems in very good working condition including
the shutter and clean lens. But, no ground glass or holders -- will have to
find those on eBay.

recomar.jpg

I have an old Kodak brochure that includes the Recomar cameras. I was
reading it today and discovered that accessory wide and tele lenses were
made for them. Didn't know that before.

Does it have the back itself or is that missing ? If it's just the glass then that's easy, I make my own - takes less than 10 minutes, and they are equally as good as anything available commercially.

I need a back for my second Patent Etui & also for a Busch Pressman (6x9) and am looking at making my own to use until I can find the correct parts. If I get time I'll post details here.

Zeiss sold the Wide angle & Tele attachments pre-WWII, Proxars & Distars, the Kodak lenses on Recomars were rebadged Tessar's.

I have a 1940 Kodak Professional catalogue (in the UK) that has a page on the Recomar, the catalogue would have been printed in 1939 just before the start of WWII. I'll scan the details next time I'm in the UK.

Ian

Coincidentally, I found this Recomar 33 at a flea market today for $20. Other
than a little cosmetic wear it seems in very good working condition including
the shutter and clean lens. But, no ground glass or holders -- will have to
find those on eBay.

recomar.jpg

I have an old Kodak brochure that includes the Recomar cameras. I was
reading it today and discovered that accessory wide and tele lenses were
made for them. Didn't know that before.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back