My newest purchase...

Sarah23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought a battery grip!! Whoohoo! I went with the Opteka one with 2 batteries. :thumbup:

I do have a question...right now I have the 1 Canon brand battery, and a off brand battery. When i get this grip, can I put those 2 in there together, since they are different brands??

hahaha...no...but I had read somewhere that some batteries have different...uh...something technical...and it isnt good to mix them.

I just wanted to make sure it wasnt an issue. :)

Don't know.. but will probably be better asked in the Equipment and products forum.
+1

Wrong forum, I really wish people showed a modicum of respect for the Photographic Discussions forum, too many Gear forums as it is...

Common manufacturer's ploy to make you buy their more expensive product. Voltage is voltage and current is current. You need a certain amount of each to make something run, and as long as both batteries supply the correct quantities, it will be fine.

...and one more thing: most camera companies don't really make their own batteries, they out-source that. Just 'cause it says Canon doesn't mean a Canon engineer designed the thing... she simply approved it.

hahaha...no...but I had read somewhere that some batteries have different...uh...something technical...and it isnt good to mix them.

I just wanted to make sure it wasnt an issue. :)
milli amperes. I hear that, too, but I'm skeptic. How does a camera know as long as the voltage is the same?

No, I'm not an electrical engineer.;)

+1

Wrong forum, I really wish people showed a modicum of respect for the Photographic Discussions forum, too many Gear forums as it is...

Sorry...the question about the battery thing was an afterthought...the main point to my post was just that I was excited about getting a battery grip...how is that not related to photographic discussion?

You should be fine mixing them, The problem is mixing batteries with different chemical compositions, but I'm pretty sure that all batteries for the xti are NMH.

The really picky batteries are Lithium-ion, which have very specific charging and discharge properties.

After to use the grip for a while, post a short review in the equipment, section, I'd really be interested.

Thanks,
Ryan

Edit, I just noticed that some lithium Ion batteries are available just make sure that you use two lithium Ion, or two Nickel-metal hydride batteries together, but probably safer not to mix them. (it could potentially damage the lithium batteries.)

I was in the same situation with a Nikon and non-Nikon battery. You wont notice the difference shooting but when charging up the batteries there is a big difference in charge times, the brand name seems to be slower but when used as individual batteries without the grip, the brand one lasts longer. Hope this helps...

..the main point to my post was just that I was excited about getting a battery grip...how is that not related to photographic discussion?

That is not at all related to photographic discussion. ;)

That is just you being happy about a purchase ;) ... maybe it is a bit technological even.

Today I placed my happiness over successfully updating my camera firmware into the offtopic for example ;)

So then what is photographic discussion exactly? I thought it was talking about things related to photography...I must be mistaken?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back