My next lens

scottdg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have had my D80 for about 6 months now. I purchased an 80-400mm Tokina off of Ebay for sports. It isn't real fast but it is good enough for now since I will be shooting primarily in bright light. Other than that I am still using the kit lens which I would like to replace soon. I am not sure what to replace it with though. Do I save my pennies and buy something faster and that covers a similar range as the 18-135? Or replace it with 1 or 2 prime lenses (I am not suggesting this will be a cheaper alternative)? I have also considered a Macro lens.

Either way I am curious to hear suggestions and to know what other people bought as their first lens. I will be shooting people and landscapes primarily.

Thanks.

unless you're going for an f/2.8 zoom, stick with the 18-135.

I'd switch it out for the 17-55, but that's for my needs.

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed my 50mm f/1.8. Inexpensive and very good. I have the D80 as well, 18-55mm, 55-200mm and the 50mm. I just ordered the 12-24mm. It should arrive in a couple of days and hope to post some pics soon. I have the 85mm & 300mm on my wish list. Even shooting in bright light, consider the SB-600 or 800 speedlight.

Thanks for the replies. I have the SB-600 on my list of things to get, hopefully before the end of the month.

As far as lenses...I would like something a little faster so a 2.8 would be nice. But I was also considering a 12-24 or something similar. I know Tokina has a nice lens in that range that has received good reviews. Maybe if I can add that and a macro that will keep me good for a while and I will replace the kit lens later.

Anyone else have suggestions?

I shoot equestrian sports and keep my little nikon 55-200 f/4 VR on most of the time. It does a good job for a $200 lens. I just ordered the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 af-s so I will be able take photographs at night in arena lighting. From what I have heard and read it is a good lens for sports, fast focus that gives a nice crisp image.
I don't know how far away you are from your subject but thats something to keep in mind. I am never really close to mine so the 80-200mm range is just about perfect.

Most reactions

Back