My next step in becoming a better photographer?

tank121

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm quite new to photography and done a couple of weekend courses. I have a basic understanding of the exposure triangle etc and have recently purchased Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure and Learning to See Creatively ( not read them yet).

I'm shooting with the Nikon d5100 and own the 35mm prime and 55-200mm, below is my Flickr link and the recent landscape shots were taken with a hired 16-85mm (nice lens).

Flickr: GigsandGadgets.com's Photostream

I know I need to get out shooting again, practice, practice, practice but was wondering if the below college course would be beneficial or to just get stuck into the two books and more practice?

[h=2]ABC Level 1 Award in Art, Design and Creative Studies (Photography)[/h]
Macclesfield College - Adult Learners - Course Search Results

Thanks in advance.

I seriously doubt anybody can answer this question for you, except YOU. It just all depends on what kind of learner you are and what the class is like (which none of us would really know unless we'd taken it).

My sister has taken several of the courses offered at our local university and found them to be extremely helpful, but she really *needs* that kind of learning environment to help her figure things out.
For me, I would just MUCH rather spend that money on photography gear than on a class.

A good next step is ALWAYS to go look at a bunch of pictures. Try to figure out why they work or don't work.

Look at the relationship of tonal values: squint at the picture so it's blurry and look just at the masses. Or make a copy of it with a pencil, simply shading the larger areas with an approximation of the tonal value to get
a sort of large-scale "tone map" of the picture to examine.

Look at the relationships of objects and lines: lines of gaze and actual lines, objects and spaces between objects, and groupings of objects or visual masses in the frame

Look for "Balance" whatever that word means to you. If a picture feels "balanced" try to figure out why you feel "balance" in that particular frame.

You seem to have a love for near/far relationships, which are a powerful idiom but not everything there is in photography. Your frames are pretty well organized, but everyone can always improve that. All the color pictures are quite cold toned, but that seems to be because you're always shooting on cloudy days. I don't know if you need to spend some time studying white balance or not, since your white balance is certainly CORRECT given the days, but it's always cold.

On a technical note, your landscapes don't seem to have the focus in quite the right place. I see in-focus foregrounds and soft backgrounds. Your focus should actually be some distance into the landscape, with the aperture small enough to provide sharpness in the foreground and the background. That's a minor quibble.

It's a 32-week course. If you apply yourself, you will surely learn a good deal. I looked at your 18 images on Flickr. You are doing better than many people already. You already appear to have potential.

If you can afford the cost and the time, sure, go for it. There is something about the classroom environment that is both educational and inspirational. I think one very valuable aspect of a class is that you get regular critiques, something that may or may not occur outside the classroom. You also benefit from hearing critique of your classmates' work as well.

It's a 32-week course. If you apply yourself, you will surely learn a good deal. I looked at your 18 images on Flickr. You are doing better than many people already. You already appear to have potential.

It's a 32-week course?!?! Good night, that's a long time for one class!! That does put a bit of a different spin on the expense part, but I'll admit, I'm not sure I'd want to commit to a class that was that long.
OP: I should also note that I have not looked at your Flickr feed, but I'll tell you that, in my opinion, if Derrel thinks you've got potential, that's good enough for me. Not that it matters to you or the rest of the free world what *I* think anyway. :lol:

I agree with Derrel in that you have some potential, but what do you want out of photography, and how quickly do you want to learn? These are questions that need answered. Honestly, the course seems worth the money, but much of that depends on what you want out of it, and what you intend to do with the knowledge when you're done. Do you want to be purely amateur? Are you wanting to go pro? What kind of photography is your focus going to be?

I think it is up to you how you can deal your photography skills after beginning the photography. You can also learn from experiences of others photographers who are good enough in photography and you can also read different books about photography.

i read a lot of photography magazines. they help me come up with ideas and they always have helpful information. most of them have a try this shot and information on how to post process.

I agree, practice is the best way. But another thing you can do besides shooting is to see lots and lots of images. Find a type of photography that you are passionate about, look for the best photographer's portfolio in that field. You can google it, but my favorite is Pinterest. Looking at the best photographer's work will help you to "see" better.

Best of luck

Casa deFoto

Yah practice makes a man perfect. If you can make more practice you will be professional. Few years ago i just started learning photography. I have learn from local professional photographer. Besides this i have arrange tutorial. In this way i have spent time to learn and i have achieved success in this field. I like to capture nature, wild life. Photography is my life. If you can practice more and follow proper guideline you will get success in this profession.

Went to the open day on Saturday and was very impressed with the facilities, dark room and 2 studios. Signed up for my sins today, start on Monday. Wish me luck!

Hey friends,,I just many photography books and megzine. But I am not sure with that any one please tell me how to learn more about photography.

Taking the course will put you in contact with other students of photography and this can only be a good thing.

Most reactions

Back