My Niece

randrx2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I do not like taking pictures of people. So when I get good shots, I am happy.

My niece does not get to see me much and she is the youngest of 4 kids. It takes a while for her to warm up to you. She kept turning away, so I just snapped what I could. These are the 2 best of the series I took.

These were taken with a 50mm 1.8 lens. About 1/50th 7.1. Just before sunset on a cloudy day. Natural light and no flash. These are untouched and uncropped.

Any ideas or criticisms are welcome.

Thank you.

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

I love the expression in that second one, what a great catch!

I love taking pictures of my kids, they make for such great subjects. My favorites are when you get a shot of them and they don't know it. I've found that the photos really come out dramatic when I'm shooting with a 200mm or 300mm lens at a wide aperature. This helps me get far enough back so they don't know I'm there, plus it really blurs out the background and brings attention to their face. That's my only advice, try a longer lens and see if you like the results.

Great work on #1, I like how you filled the frame with your subject cutting down on distractions. They are nice candid shots. Kids are tough to take pictures of. You also did good keeping your distance and zooming in.
Cosmo

You can't zoom in with a 50mm fixed focus lens ... you have to physically get closer if you want to fill the frame more...

And both methods have their merits: the fixed focus lenses produce sharper images, the telephoto lenses help you to totally blur out the background (which I personally like very much in photography), but the first one here captured her really nicely. Maybe aperture could have even been a tad larger.

Her expression in the second one is nice, composition, however, is a bit off, but am I not the one who tells quite frankly ( here ) how hard she finds to compose people shots right with a fixed focus lens!?!?!? I am!

Like the expression on the second. I think a square, tighter crop would look neat.

Most reactions

Back