My Nikon AF-S 28-70mm f2.8D (is sick)

shadowlands

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, I'm doing a graduation shoot out in Austin (UT) this past weekend.
The auto-focus goes out on my Nikon AF-S 28-70mm f2.8D. I was bummed.
Did most of the shoot with my 80-200 f2.8, and when I needed the 28-70, I simply slapped on my 50mm f1.4D (glad I brought it).
To make a long story short. Lens wasn't dropped or damaged. It's weird. Auto-focus stopped working, most of the time. Occasionally, it will work. The information we see, when looking through the view-finder? Well, it goes black... no information, when the auto-focus stops working.
I'm shipping it to KEH today, during lunch. I'm out of warranty, so I wanted to give them a shot at it, this time around.

Back when I was looking at the 24-70, 28-70 and 35-70s I read alot of the AFS of the 28-70s going dead. Luckily I didn't have the money for one and bought a 35-70. But, I'd still like to have one.

bummer about the AFS :(
one reason I like the AF-D (non-S) .. after reading so much of AFS's dying it scare me away for a bit. But now I have some AFS lenses. :)

Back when I was looking at the 24-70, 28-70 and 35-70s I read alot of the AFS of the 28-70s going dead. Luckily I didn't have the money for one and bought a 35-70. But, I'd still like to have one.

bummer about the AFS :(
one reason I like the AF-D (non-S) .. after reading so much of AFS's dying it scare me away for a bit. But now I have some AFS lenses. :)

I hear ya! It's my only AF-S lens. When it died, my AF 50mm saved my butt. But it's worth learning about the issue/needed repair.
If it's $300 or less, I'm happy. If it's $400, I'll be bummed out....

This is what has always terrified me about really expensive AF-S lenses. My 80-200 AF-D f/2.8 still works like a charm, it's completely physical, all that could really happen is the in camera focus motor burns out, at which point it could either be replaced, or I could buy a new one.

FWIW .. the LensAcrossAmerica #2 or 3 . the 28-70 (variable aperture) AF-D stopped working and it was push-pull. Somehow the internal mechanisms got damaged.

But my AF-D lenses are humming along just fine too.

KEH will have it Wednesday. I'll know soon after. In the past, I've used Nikon but with items under warranty.
KEH communicates more effectively...

Did most of the shoot with my 80-200 f2.8, and when I needed the 28-70, I simply slapped on my 50mm f1.4D (glad I brought it).
To make a long story short. Lens wasn't dropped or damaged. It's weird. Auto-focus stopped working, most of the time. Occasionally, it will work. The information we see, when looking through the view-finder? Well, it goes black... no information, when the auto-focus stops working.
I'm shipping it to KEH today, during lunch. I'm out of warranty, so I wanted to give them a shot at it, this time around.
You probably know this but . . . if you registered the lens with Nikon, they add 4 years to the warranty. I'm not sure if you are thinking about a 1 year warranty or not, but it was worth a shot.

You probably know this but . . . if you registered the lens with Nikon, they add 4 years to the warranty. I'm not sure if you are thinking about a 1 year warranty or not, but it was worth a shot.

Wish that were the case. Bought it used a few years ago. Fingers crossed that it's nothing horrible.

Any news on the damage cost ?

send them some teeth ...

It maybe better to pick up a used one off ebay or something. I remember buying mine used around $900 some years ago but I see them around $600-700. I'm just going to upgrade to a 24-70mm if mine ever fails.

It maybe better to pick up a used one off ebay or something. I remember buying mine used around $900 some years ago but I see them around $600-700. I'm just going to upgrade to a 24-70mm if mine ever fails.

Keeping the faith. Repair should be $195.00 if I don't need a new AF-S motor. If I do, it will cost more, of course.

My lens is on its way back to me!!! Repair was $195.00. It didn't need an auto-focus motor!!!
I honestly don't yet know what it was. All I know is it was done for the flat rate repair of $195.00, so I'm happy.
I'll know more soon. I'll let y'all know. Glad I sent it to keh.com.

Most reactions

Back